• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
pipesmokersforum.com

University Flake Review

Arkie

I have never smoked a flake that I didn't like. They are rich, deep and complex. University Flake is the exception that proves the rule. I have read reviews where it was claimed that UF was flavored with blueberries and all sorts of weird stuff but I didn't taste anything unusual. In fact, I hardly tasted anything at all. It was as though I were pulling hot air through the stem of my pipe. No offense to anyone who likes UF but it just don't ring my chimes.

Last edited:

WrightwoodJohn

I have never smoked a flake that I didn't like. They are rich, deep and complex. University Flake is the exception that proves the rule. I have read reviews where it was claimed that UF was flavored with blueberries and all sorts of weird stuff but I didn't taste anything unusual. In fact, I hardly tasted anything at all. It was as though I was pulling hot air through the stem of my pipe. No offense to anyone who likes UF but it just don't ring my chimes.
I love the stuff, as they say, perhaps another day another pipe.....

The flavouring, though there's not much of it, is plum. Or more likely prune juice/syrup. Tinned prunes being part of the British/Irish traditional school dinners and works/refectory canteen menus back when pipes were everywhere. Also one of the flavourings allowed under the UK's old tobacco purity laws.

Personally I like UF. It also has a nice and sweet room-note, or so I've been told by several different people including a few non-smokers.

There are for me very few stand out blends within the Peterson range. I'm not saying that they're outrightly bad, far from it in fact, but I just don't find most of them all that special that's all.
I do however have to say that I consider UF,IF and 3P's to be some of the more complex and better quality blends though.
I can remember thinking for a short while that I'd found a 'go-to' in Irish Oak some years ago, so much so in fact I decided to cellar some of it.
Somewhere during a break from that particular blend I found something else and it made me think how bland the IO was.

Here in the UK the Peterson range of tobaccos seem aways to be priced at a similar level to the Dunhill range. I can not imagine why.To my mind the Peterson range are mostly of very ordinery quality when compared to a good few in Dunhill's range.
Try to persevere a little longer with the UF , maybe it will absolutely sing in a different pipe. As I said, in my humble opinion FWIW, the UF is one of the better ones in the Peterson range.:bing::bing:

Last edited:

Grimpeur

I'm more of an Irish Flake man, myself; whatever topping is used for University irritates my mouth to no end. Just one of those body chemistry things. And while some prefer the old Murray blends, I much prefer the Mac Baren iteration of IF.

@Cousin Ivan , if you like the GH Rich Dark Honeydew, give Peterson's Hyde Park a try; made by GH, I find it to be a variation of RDH and quite tasty.

I'm more of an Irish Flake man, myself; whatever topping is used for University irritates my mouth to no end. Just one of those body chemistry things. And while some prefer the old Murray blends, I much prefer the Mac Baren iteration of IF.

@Cousin Ivan , if you like the GH Rich Dark Honeydew, give Peterson's Hyde Park a try; made by GH, I find it to be a variation of RDH and quite tasty.
I didn't know about the MacBaren involvement with making Peterson's blends for them. That would make sense that. If the three (UF,IF and 3P's) I've said that I like are made by MacBaren.
Their Vanilla Cream Flake is a particular favourite of mine. How long has MacBaren been doing the honours for Peterson's I wonder?
The last time I smoked any of the Peterson's ready-rubbed blends (when I decided they weren't to my liking but UF,IF and 3P's were), I was of an impression that Orlik made them.
If McB's are blending for Peterson's now, I'll have to give their ready-rubbed's another try.:bing: