Just received in James Fox's Dorisco Mixture over the holiday weekend.
I know that a few people have asked for it to be included here but I feel that there is a bit of a snag.
To me......there is quite a bit of Latakia in this blend. So much so that I cannot classify it as being close to being in the VaPer Showdown. A few other blends have other types of tobacco in them and I have included them but since Latakia is so overpowering I cannot include it in the listing.
I will however give a separate review of it in the Tobacco Reviews section.
I hear ya. This one smokes pretty easy. I've been put off of other blends of theirs that I "should" like, like Blackwoods, just because like you, I find it too much trouble to try and get to work right, when so many other blends I can just shove in and light up and have a good time with.
You have the sincere gratitude of the pipe smoking community for all the fine work you've done on this thread. Even your interim final list is an impressive look into this important category. Our individual tastes may vary, of course, but there's a ton of knowledge here that can enrich all of us.
In short, a very valuable contribution to the pipe literature which should live on for years to come.
Very interested in this thread. I am trying to like OGS but I can't get into it. Just not my thing yet, if ever. I have a half tin I broke up and have tried at various dry stages. Last night I fought it for 10 minutes before I caught a solid light. After that it burned fine but still not enjoyable to distraction from my book. Meanwhile I can put some Becks Ol Limey Bastard in the pipe, char, tamp, light, go. Not worth the fight for me.
Going to repost your list Slow Tri and check off what I have. See if there is something else I can work with.
1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake - Got it in a trade. I hate flakes. Why God does this have to be a flake? 3) GL Pease Tribute
4) Escudo - Comes in a round tin. Not a flake I hope. Might crack the tin or look for a sample first. 5)GL Pease Triple Play 6) GL Pease Filmore 7) Former’s Straight Grain Flake 8) H & H AJ’s VaPer 9) Low Country’s Waccamaw 10) Peretti’s Park Square 11) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke 12) H & H Rolando’s Own
13) H & H Anniversary Kake - Got an 8oz tin in trade. Will open it when I figure out if I like VaPers. 14) G & H Louisiana Flake 15) C & D Poplar Camp
16) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture - Going to be used in a 1965 Dunhill that Russ sent me. (pictures when I sign up for a hosting site. Snapfish cuts you off after a year now unless you buy something.) 17) C & D Night Train 18) H & H Louisiana Red 19) C & D Bayou Morning Flake
20) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake - Really, really love this stuff. Didn't know there was perique in it. Thought it was a classic VaBur. If anyone wants to trade me some... let me know. 21) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick 22) Dorchester 23) Solani #633 24) Luxury Bullseye Flake 25) McClelland Bulk 2015 26) GL Pease Telegraph Hill 27) Kajun Kake 28) Luxury Navy Flake 29) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices