1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

VaPer Showdown

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by Slow Tri, Sep 19, 2011.

1. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

+1 what Brad said.

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

This is going to take me a while to read, but thanks for the thread!
    I've recently become very fond of VaPers (Anni Kake got me addicted) so i'm sure i'll be adding a few more onto the TAD.

3. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I need to update this thread with some ones that I've had over the past few months.

Old Codger likes this.
  4. Labman

Labman Member

This is definitely going to come in handy! Thanks for posting this, Scott.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

:ohyh:

:popc:

6. Slow Tri

Just received in James Fox's Dorisco Mixture over the holiday weekend.

I know that a few people have asked for it to be included here but I feel that there is a bit of a snag.

To me......there is quite a bit of Latakia in this blend. So much so that I cannot classify it as being close to being in the VaPer Showdown. A few other blends have other types of tobacco in them and I have included them but since Latakia is so overpowering I cannot include it in the listing.

I will however give a separate review of it in the Tobacco Reviews section.

abadiemet likes this.
  7. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Glad this one surfaced! Thanks for the reviews.

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

Scott, one really wicked Va/Per that you'd probably like that I don't see on your list is Tudor Castle from McClelland. Sweet, punchy, and really a solid contender.

9. Slow Tri

I'll have to look into that one Todd. I kind of shied away from McC blends because their "Broken Flake" makes me mad when I try and smoke it. I cannot figure out how to dry it out enough to my liking.

10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Is that the only reason you shy away from them?

11. Slow Tri

Pretty much.

I've tried most of them in the past that I was interested in (Dark Star, St. James Woods, Xmas Cheer). They were all frustrating.

The Frog Morton ones are about the only McC's that I smoke. Although I do sacrafice every once in a while for Xmas Cheer.

12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I thought you might have an aversion to the casing they use.

13. Slow Tri

Nah.....I don't mind that.

I just feel that life is too short and there are plenty of other blends out there that don't frustrate me so I smoke those.

Although the blend that Todd proposed (Tudor Castle) looks pretty darn good.

14. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

4Noggins Prairie Wind by the lb but Tudor Castle will be on my next order. Thanks Sasquatch.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

I hear ya. This one smokes pretty easy. I've been put off of other blends of theirs that I "should" like, like Blackwoods, just because like you, I find it too much trouble to try and get to work right, when so many other blends I can just shove in and light up and have a good time with.

16. User4408

User4408 Member

You have the sincere gratitude of the pipe smoking community for all the fine work you've done on this thread. Even your interim final list is an impressive look into this important category. Our individual tastes may vary, of course, but there's a ton of knowledge here that can enrich all of us.

In short, a very valuable contribution to the pipe literature which should live on for years to come.

ajvan, PipeSimmo and Slow Tri like this.
  17. Slow Tri

Thanks MentorBV.

It has been an act of love. These blends are great!!

18. Marker

Marker Active Member

Very interested in this thread. I am trying to like OGS but I can't get into it. Just not my thing yet, if ever. I have a half tin I broke up and have tried at various dry stages. Last night I fought it for 10 minutes before I caught a solid light. After that it burned fine but still not enjoyable to distraction from my book. Meanwhile I can put some Becks Ol Limey Bastard in the pipe, char, tamp, light, go. Not worth the fight for me.

Going to repost your list Slow Tri and check off what I have. See if there is something else I can work with.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
    2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake - Got it in a trade. I hate flakes. Why God does this have to be a flake?
    3) GL Pease Tribute
    4) Escudo - Comes in a round tin. Not a flake I hope. Might crack the tin or look for a sample first.
    5)GL Pease Triple Play
    6) GL Pease Filmore
    7) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
    8) H & H AJ’s VaPer
    9) Low Country’s Waccamaw
    10) Peretti’s Park Square
    11) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
    12) H & H Rolando’s Own
    13) H & H Anniversary Kake - Got an 8oz tin in trade. Will open it when I figure out if I like VaPers.
    14) G & H Louisiana Flake
    15) C & D Poplar Camp
    16) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture - Going to be used in a 1965 Dunhill that Russ sent me. (pictures when I sign up for a hosting site. Snapfish cuts you off after a year now unless you buy something.)
    17) C & D Night Train
    18) H & H Louisiana Red
    19) C & D Bayou Morning Flake
    20) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake - Really, really love this stuff. Didn't know there was perique in it. Thought it was a classic VaBur. If anyone wants to trade me some... let me know.
    21) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
    22) Dorchester
    23) Solani #633
    24) Luxury Bullseye Flake
    25) McClelland Bulk 2015
    26) GL Pease Telegraph Hill
    27) Kajun Kake
    28) Luxury Navy Flake
    29) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

jdto and User4408 like this.
  19. jdto

jdto Active Member

Just rub the St. James Flake out thoroughly and enjoy. It's amazing stuff.

20. Marker

Marker Active Member

Been there, tried that with OGS. Still makes me want to kick a kitten. I got too comfortable with EMP/Nightcap where you just stuff it almost any way you want and the pipe works.