• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.

VaPer Showdown

I am trying to like OGS ... fought it for 10 minutes before I caught a solid light
I hear you. One thing that used to drive me crazy was hearing about all those smokers who liked MB Dark Twist. Yet whenever I tried to smoke it, the bowl would stay lit for 10 seconds before I'd have to hit again with the flame. Smoking it was not only frustrating but physically exhausting.

The trick that worked for me was a very loose pack with crumbs on the top. I had been packing it too tightly before and the air couldn't circulate properly. Maybe the same trick might work for you.

Do you smoke the Reiner LGF as a flake, or do you rub it out? FYI the Escudo is a compressed tobacco like flake, but in the shape of coins rather than strips.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Marker

Do you smoke the Reiner LGF as a flake, or do you rub it out? FYI the Escudo is a compressed tobacco like flake, but in the shape of coins rather than strips.

Cheers, and Good Luck!
Mount Mandolin already had broken the flake up in to little dense sticks. I broke them a little more and dried it out just a bit before sealing it in a container at what I thought was the ideal dry for smoking it. Worked out really well.

BradNTX

Very interested in this thread. I am trying to like OGS but I can't get into it. Just not my thing yet, if ever. I have a half tin I broke up and have tried at various dry stages. Last night I fought it for 10 minutes before I caught a solid light. After that it burned fine but still not enjoyable to distraction from my book. Meanwhile I can put some Becks Ol Limey Bastard in the pipe, char, tamp, light, go. Not worth the fight for me.

Going to repost your list Slow Tri and check off what I have. See if there is something else I can work with.

4) Escudo - Comes in a round tin. Not a flake I hope. Might crack the tin or look for a sample first.
13) H & H Anniversary Kake - Got an 8oz tin in trade. Will open it when I figure out if I like VaPers.
Escudo is not a flake, but is a large round coin. You can crumble it into a ball or long narrow was, either way, and cram it in a pipe and lights easily. Very tasty smoke.

Anni Kake is like no other VaPer to me. Very figgy, smooth and sweet if it is still moist. Once it goes past a certain point of dryness, it gets peppery, and looses the sweet.

Am I right in assuming dunhill navy rolls would fall into the va per category? I must say I'm not a massive va per fan, th spicy ness does nothing for me, but I did find this to be a fairly pleasant smoke :)

Marker

Very interested in this thread. I am trying to like OGS but I can't get into it. Just not my thing yet, if ever. I have a half tin I broke up and have tried at various dry stages. Last night I fought it for 10 minutes before I caught a solid light. After that it burned fine but still not enjoyable to distraction from my book. Meanwhile I can put some Becks Ol Limey Bastard in the pipe, char, tamp, light, go. Not worth the fight for me.

Going to repost your list Slow Tri and check off what I have. See if there is something else I can work with.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake - Got it in a trade. I hate flakes. Why God does this have to be a flake?
3) GL Pease Tribute
4) Escudo - Comes in a round tin. Not a flake I hope. Might crack the tin or look for a sample first.
5)GL Pease Triple Play
6) GL Pease Filmore
7) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
8) H & H AJ’s VaPer - Got some in trade. Have not tried it.
9) Low Country’s Waccamaw
10) Peretti’s Park Square
11) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
12) H & H Rolando’s Own
13) H & H Anniversary Kake - Got an 8oz tin in trade. Will open it when I figure out if I like VaPers.
14) G & H Louisiana Flake
15) C & D Poplar Camp
16) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture - Going to be used in a 1965 Dunhill that Russ sent me. (pictures when I sign up for a hosting site. Snapfish cuts you off after a year now unless you buy something.)
17) C & D Night Train - Got some in trade. Have not tried it.
18) H & H Louisiana Red
19) C & D Bayou Morning Flake
20) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake - Really, really love this stuff. Didn't know there was perique in it. Thought it was a classic VaBur. If anyone wants to trade me some... let me know.
21) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
22) Dorchester
23) Solani #633
24) Luxury Bullseye Flake - Got some in trade. Have not tried it.
25) McClelland Bulk 2015 - Got some in trade. Have not tried it.
26) GL Pease Telegraph Hill
27) Kajun Kake
28) Luxury Navy Flake - Got some in trade. Have not tried it.
29) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices
Updating this. Will try to post up some thoughts after I bust out of a bunch of samples that need killing.

critter

Well done SlowTri. taken a couple days to wade through this thread, but it is just the information i have been looking for. smoked many of these, but now i got another list to work through. will keep an eye out for more of your reviews. again, thank you

Awesome list! Thanks for the effort!

Been cross-referencing with my Wishlist on P&C.

For the record: My understanding is that ESCUDO and DUNHILL NAVY ROLLS are the SAME exact tobacco blend, made in the same factory, and packaged mere yards apart.

Escudo brings back memories. It was the first tin I ever bought back when I was completely green. Had only smoked Drug-Store funk in my filtered Dr. Grabow up to that point. My first experience with tinned tobacco was a weird one.

Went to a local cigar lounge, out of ignorance and desperation, to search out some real tinned blends. All they carried was Capt. Black, and Criss Cross in huge bags, though luckily they had one tin of Escudo left. When I pointed it out to the owner behind the counter, he had forgotten he carried it, thus HE actually BROKE the seal, OPENED the tin, and smelled it right in front of me. He said he was "making sure it was still good". Huh? At the time I didn't think too much into it. Wasn't thinking about age. Knowing what I know now, I would likely lose it on the guy. Certainly wouldn't have bought it. Nevertheless, I have loved Escudo, and most VaPers ever since.

I was looking back over older threads like these -- I've been in somewhat of a VaPer/VaBurPer phase lately -- and noticed that while I generally agree on many of your thoughts (for those on your list I have tried), I was a bit surprised to see how low you scored LBF and LNF. Given that these (esp. LNF) are to me VERY green from the get-go, I wanted to inquire as to how old your samples were when you smoked them? I am guessing they were new/"fresh," right? Have you given these a shot again since (or after they have a few years on them)?

I really am fond of Anni Kake from the get go as well as (and especially) after a few years...but I only smoke LNF after jarring a minimum of a year (longer is better). I have had better results with "fresh" LBF, but I think it too starts to come into its own after it has a chance to age. Anni Kake is one of those odd ducks that is good immediately AND becomes almost an entirely different animal after 3-4 years. Since it's good most anytime, I like to have a lot of it around. I did just put back another 1.5# each of LBF and LNF that I don't plan on sampling until at least 2015. Escudo is also a staple for me, but I rarely leave my stash of it alone long enough for it to age (I do have a fresh 5-pack of tins I am trying to get my wife to "lose" in our basement so I won't find them for a year or more and can finally sample some that's been well-aged). ;)

Anyway, just curious.

Also, after reading all of this, I have to admit that McC's Scottish Kake is one that somehow has never yet made it into my pipe. I'll have to track some of it down.

Thanks again, very belatedly (but hey, I'm new here so I have an excuse), for all the "work" that went into this.
:puffy:

wildcrow

I spent the better half of my night smoking dunhills elizabethan mixture and some anni kake. I love vapers and was going tobpost just to get this back to the top so many new guys could view this beautiful thread and kaboom.... rigor already did the dirty work.

Seriously i read this about twice a month and daydream. My wife got my valentines day present sent to me and i can telk she had been snooping around on this post because she got me c&d kajun kake and bayou morning and escudo based on your reviews and my taste buds.

I have to say that i wish you haf reviewed st james woods because with 2 hours drying time, this baccy performs. Ut is as sweet as a moist yellow cake. And if you took that cake and covered the top in a thin layet of freshly ground pepper and dipped it in bbq... then you know what it tastes like.

Thank you for a wonderful thread

ChristTiger

Resident Feline
No Ads Upgrade
Here we go with a discontinued Dunhill brand, Elizabethan Mixture. I have been lucky enough to put a few tins of this away and have had some loose in a mason jar for sometime. However, I have not smoked this in probably a year. I thought that it was time to bring this out and enter it into the VaPer Showdown.

Here is the tin description:

A distinctive flavorful blend pressed, darkened tobaccos with Perique added for character.

Not very descriptive, is it?!?! Well, let me elaborate on that. The blend comes in the traditional round tin with paper folded over the top of the blend. Upon first opening this tin you are greeted with a wonderfully sweet aroma paired with a bit of spiciness. This blend comes ribbon cut with colors ranging from bright yellow to dark brown with the brownish/black perique littered here and there.

Now I will let you know that when I first smoked a few bowls of this blend I could not figure out what all the hub-bub was with this blend. I found it to be a good Virginia blend, kind of boring with some perique mixed in. It wasn’t until I got around to about the 10th bowl that I noticed subtle characters and flavors coming in and out. There are several different Virginia tobaccos present in this blend and they all play a role in the finished product.

A lot of people have stated that this blend has a lot of perique in it and it isn’t for the faint of heart. I think that those people are wrong. While this does not have a minute amount of perique in it, it isn’t a perique bomb either.

The first 1/3 of the bowl was dominated by the flavors and sweetness of the Virginias. They came in and out with a hint of the perique in the background.

The middle 1/3 seemed a bit stronger with the peppery/spiciness of the perique,

The last 1/3 of the bowl everything seemed to come together and play off of each other. Towards the end the Virginias soured a bit but it added another flavor to the profile.

I really liked this blend and I find it hard to believe that Dunhill discontinued this blend. Oh well, that is just how it goes sometime. I do know that Altadis has come out with an “Elizabethan” substitute although I have not yet tried it. I think that this blend can take over the 11th place spot without any argument.

If you liked the DH Elizabethan, you really need to try the H&H MATCH Elizabethan. (You can only buy it in bulk from P&C)

It's as close as you'll ever get to the original blend. I love it.