1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

VaPer Showdown

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by Slow Tri, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jdto

jdto Active Member

I hear you, but St. James is worth it (at least to me, but that's what's great about pipe tobacco - variety!)

Slow Tri and Marker like this.

2. User4408

User4408 Member

I hear you. One thing that used to drive me crazy was hearing about all those smokers who liked MB Dark Twist. Yet whenever I tried to smoke it, the bowl would stay lit for 10 seconds before I'd have to hit again with the flame. Smoking it was not only frustrating but physically exhausting.

The trick that worked for me was a very loose pack with crumbs on the top. I had been packing it too tightly before and the air couldn't circulate properly. Maybe the same trick might work for you.

Do you smoke the Reiner LGF as a flake, or do you rub it out? FYI the Escudo is a compressed tobacco like flake, but in the shape of coins rather than strips.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Stormy and Marker like this.
  3. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

4. Marker

Marker Active Member

Mount Mandolin already had broken the flake up in to little dense sticks. I broke them a little more and dried it out just a bit before sealing it in a container at what I thought was the ideal dry for smoking it. Worked out really well.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Escudo is not a flake, but is a large round coin. You can crumble it into a ball or long narrow was, either way, and cram it in a pipe and lights easily. Very tasty smoke.

Anni Kake is like no other VaPer to me. Very figgy, smooth and sweet if it is still moist. Once it goes past a certain point of dryness, it gets peppery, and looses the sweet.

Marker likes this.
  6. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

This post inspired me to light some St. James up last night and this morning. Still great stuff!!

7. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Does Old Joe Krantz count as a VaPer blend? I'd like to see your review of it, being one of my favorite blends.

8. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

I love OJK, but IMO, it's not a VaPer. The Burley in OJK takes center stage, with the Va and Perique just adding interest.

Slow Tri and mecompco like this.
  9. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Et tu, Brute! Ha ha, I understand. It is good, though!

JRobert likes this.
  10. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Am I right in assuming dunhill navy rolls would fall into the va per category? I must say I'm not a massive va per fan, th spicy ness does nothing for me, but I did find this to be a fairly pleasant smoke :)

11. Slow Tri

I agree. Don't have any Dunhill right now but I do have the Davidoff Flake Medallions that I can light up and smoke.....then review.

ronbruce61 likes this.
  12. Marker

Marker Active Member

Updating this. Will try to post up some thoughts after I bust out of a bunch of samples that need killing.

13. critter

critter Member

Well done SlowTri. taken a couple days to wade through this thread, but it is just the information i have been looking for. smoked many of these, but now i got another list to work through. will keep an eye out for more of your reviews. again, thank you

Slow Tri likes this.
  14. Tongue Bite

Tongue Bite Member

Awesome list! Thanks for the effort!

Been cross-referencing with my Wishlist on P&C.

For the record: My understanding is that ESCUDO and DUNHILL NAVY ROLLS are the SAME exact tobacco blend, made in the same factory, and packaged mere yards apart.

Escudo brings back memories. It was the first tin I ever bought back when I was completely green. Had only smoked Drug-Store funk in my filtered Dr. Grabow up to that point. My first experience with tinned tobacco was a weird one.

Went to a local cigar lounge, out of ignorance and desperation, to search out some real tinned blends. All they carried was Capt. Black, and Criss Cross in huge bags, though luckily they had one tin of Escudo left. When I pointed it out to the owner behind the counter, he had forgotten he carried it, thus HE actually BROKE the seal, OPENED the tin, and smelled it right in front of me. He said he was "making sure it was still good". Huh? At the time I didn't think too much into it. Wasn't thinking about age. Knowing what I know now, I would likely lose it on the guy. Certainly wouldn't have bought it. Nevertheless, I have loved Escudo, and most VaPers ever since.

Rodfather, Slow Tri and Tony Malerich like this.
  15. rigormootis

rigormootis Member

I was looking back over older threads like these -- I've been in somewhat of a VaPer/VaBurPer phase lately -- and noticed that while I generally agree on many of your thoughts (for those on your list I have tried), I was a bit surprised to see how low you scored LBF and LNF. Given that these (esp. LNF) are to me VERY green from the get-go, I wanted to inquire as to how old your samples were when you smoked them? I am guessing they were new/"fresh," right? Have you given these a shot again since (or after they have a few years on them)?

I really am fond of Anni Kake from the get go as well as (and especially) after a few years...but I only smoke LNF after jarring a minimum of a year (longer is better). I have had better results with "fresh" LBF, but I think it too starts to come into its own after it has a chance to age. Anni Kake is one of those odd ducks that is good immediately AND becomes almost an entirely different animal after 3-4 years. Since it's good most anytime, I like to have a lot of it around. I did just put back another 1.5# each of LBF and LNF that I don't plan on sampling until at least 2015. Escudo is also a staple for me, but I rarely leave my stash of it alone long enough for it to age (I do have a fresh 5-pack of tins I am trying to get my wife to "lose" in our basement so I won't find them for a year or more and can finally sample some that's been well-aged). ;)

Anyway, just curious.

Also, after reading all of this, I have to admit that McC's Scottish Kake is one that somehow has never yet made it into my pipe. I'll have to track some of it down.

Thanks again, very belatedly (but hey, I'm new here so I have an excuse), for all the "work" that went into this.
    :puffy:

16. wildcrow

wildcrow Member

I spent the better half of my night smoking dunhills elizabethan mixture and some anni kake. I love vapers and was going tobpost just to get this back to the top so many new guys could view this beautiful thread and kaboom.... rigor already did the dirty work.

Seriously i read this about twice a month and daydream. My wife got my valentines day present sent to me and i can telk she had been snooping around on this post because she got me c&d kajun kake and bayou morning and escudo based on your reviews and my taste buds.

I have to say that i wish you haf reviewed st james woods because with 2 hours drying time, this baccy performs. Ut is as sweet as a moist yellow cake. And if you took that cake and covered the top in a thin layet of freshly ground pepper and dipped it in bbq... then you know what it tastes like.

Thank you for a wonderful thread

17. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

This is my favorite thread,there many others like it but this one is mine.

Ron

18. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

If you liked the DH Elizabethan, you really need to try the H&H MATCH Elizabethan. (You can only buy it in bulk from P&C)

It's as close as you'll ever get to the original blend. I love it.

Slow Tri and Tony Malerich like this.
  19. Slow Tri

Hmmmm.....I haven't even tried this. Might have to see about this.

ChristTiger likes this.
  20. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Hey @Slow Tri - you already had a chance to try the German VaPers? The HU stuff? Very exited to hear your opinion... :popc:

ChristTiger likes this.