Varieties and Characteristics

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by Jonesy, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

After 16 years of desire I'm gonna do it! I'm determined to grow me some baccy.

Before I start big I'm goin small first to find best combinations. Wanna figure out a good camel blend heavy on the Turk w a sweetness.

Hope folks
    WITH EXPERIENCE will give input on different varieties and characteristics wether it be cig pipe chew or stogie. So all can benefit.

Happy growin happy:puffy:

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont Have Experience but I do know that Camel cigarettes are mainly Burley with some Turkish . Which of the two variety is anybodies guess . As far as cigarettes go , Camels are pretty good

Jonesy likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Anybody know about flavors/characteristics within families ie burly Virginia's Turks.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

I just read on Wikipedia that camels are Turkish and Virginia ????

5. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

You might have better luck than I, Turkish/Orientals are usually cured by hanging them in the sun, I can't do that in MA, it's just asking for trouble. I'm not sure how much difference it would make to flue cure them, but I think a lot of the mildness and flavor in that type of tobacco comes from the exposure to sun.

I wouldn't trust Wikipedia for everything, most US brands use mostly White Burley with other varieties blended in to taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.