Vegatable Garden + Tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone grown tobacco plants in the vicinity of a vegetable garden? Did you have any problems with cross-pollination or pests?

bubbagump

Sales Account
Sales Upgrade
Well find out soon. I'm going to put several varieties of peppers in with my tobacco. I don't think there will be an issue. My $.02...I had organic pest spray on hand the last time I did tomatoes and peppers.

Edit: Between tobacco varieties...cross politination will be a concern, but it won't be impacted by veggies.

i grew some several years ago, planted on the corners of the garden. didnt have one hornworm on the tomatos and they were easier to find on the tobacco leaves. but i cant get the seeds i collected to germinate, which is pretty irritating.
mholder
saline county mo

Tomatos and other plants in the nightshade family can get a desease called tobacco mosaic from handling with hands that have touched tobacco. Also tobacco growing sucks the nutrients out of the soil big time and you cant grow much of anything in the same spot for a few years till the nitrogen is replaced.

i grew some several years ago, planted on the corners of the garden. didnt have one hornworm on the tomatos and they were easier to find on the tobacco leaves. but i cant get the seeds i collected to germinate, which is pretty irritating.
mholder
saline county mo
how did you try to germinate.. tobacco germinates easy at 75-80 degrees in a few days. the seeds should be lightly pressed into a soilless germination mix of peat moss, perlite and vermiculite or a simular soiless mix.. the seeds need light to germinate..keep misting, no overwatering..

Status
Not open for further replies.