Very new to pipe smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...

As of yesterday evening, I am now the proud owner of my very first pipe. My lovely girlfriend gave it to me as a gift last night after hearing me say awhile back that I'd really like to try a pipe one day -- since Grandpa smoked one and I always loved the aroma.

So now I have a Yello-Bole Ebony pipe with cherry Captain Black cavendish.

I realize this is not the sort of thing one would get the hang of right away. I know that keeping it lit is almost an art -- one that takes time.

But what I'm puzzled about is...

My pipe keeps getting so hot that I can't even hold onto it. What could be causing this? Is it that I'm smoking it too fast? It just seems that if I slow down then it goes out. Maybe the answer is in my packing?

And the tongue bite is kind of annoying. About how long does it take to "break in" the pipe so that it no longer does that anymore?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I look forward to sharing my new experience with some of you veterans of pipe smoking.

CArnold40

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I believe the bowl is made of brylon and they get very hot. Also you may be smoking too fast and that can make any pipe hot.

dubhdarra

CArnold40 said:
Hello all...

As of yesterday evening, I am now the proud owner of my very first pipe. My lovely girlfriend gave it to me as a gift last night after hearing me say awhile back that I'd really like to try a pipe one day -- since Grandpa smoked one and I always loved the aroma.

So now I have a Yello-Bole Ebony pipe with cherry Captain Black cavendish.

I realize this is not the sort of thing one would get the hang of right away. I know that keeping it lit is almost an art -- one that takes time.

But what I'm puzzled about is...

My pipe keeps getting so hot that I can't even hold onto it. What could be causing this? Is it that I'm smoking it too fast? It just seems that if I slow down then it goes out. Maybe the answer is in my packing?

And the tongue bite is kind of annoying. About how long does it take to "break in" the pipe so that it no longer does that anymore?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I look forward to sharing my new experience with some of you veterans of pipe smoking.

CArnold40

i'm willing to bet you're packing it down too full/hard and probably not letting the CB dry out before smoking. if i remember my early forays into pipe smoking, fresh out of a fresh bag that stuff is wetter than a hobo's socks.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Do they still even make Brylon, Woody?

Guaranteed you are just smoking too aggressively, and the tobacco is probably half at fault, CArn.

Take a pipeful of tobacco and just dry it right out... let it sit on a plate for 1/2hr or even an hour. Then load it very gently into the pipe - just drizzle it in until the bowl is full. Tamp that load down to about 1/2 way, and then take a pinch of tobacco and put it in on top. Light that up, and smoke a little, then tamp the top and light it up again. Then you should have a pretty decent bowl to work with.

If the briar gets hot, just stop. It's not a crime if the pipe goes out. The best flavor is found with the tobacco just barely burning, not ripping red hot. So sip at it, and if it goes out, that's fine. It does take some experimenting, and certainly some blends are easier to smoke than others.

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Sasquatch said:
I bought a brand new Medico a few months back made from brylon. Also seen some in a discount cigarette store around the same time.

Dungmaggot

I've tried capt. black and I find it...well its repulsive. But I'm not a huge aromatic fan either. If you wanna stick with the aromatics I have a few that I'll happily mail you for free. I can even throw in an English blend just so you can try it out.

Marc

Captain Black Cherry is not a good beginner’s blend, especially in a Medico brylon constructed pipe. I would recommend you try Carter Hall or the regular Captain Black in the white pouch, a much drier and smoother smoke for someone new to pipe smoking.

Dungmaggot

I can't blame the guy for going the Capt. Black route really. My first pipe tobacco experience was Super Value Black Cavendish based solely on the fact that it smelled nice in the pouch. I knew nothing about pipes except that I liked the way looked and that I wanted to try one.

The unfortunite fact is that most of us start this way. We "try it out" with absolutely now knowledge at all and relying on the person at the local Cigarette, Ball Cap, and Camel Emporium to steer us in the right direction. My very first time buying a pipe I left with a cheaply made Chinese pipe made of pine and a small box of tobacco that turned out to be made for a hookah all based on what the guy behind the counter handed me. The next day I made it to another tobacco shop and picked up the Super Value and thought it to be just fine until I tried some real tobacco from a B&M.

Lets face it, short of laying out nearly $100 bucks to an internet site for something we may or may not like were left at the mercy of the local shops and we all know that they suck.

Dungmaggot said:
I've tried capt. black and I find it...well its repulsive. But I'm not a huge aromatic fan either. If you wanna stick with the aromatics I have a few that I'll happily mail you for free. I can even throw in an English blend just so you can try it out.
Yes DungMaggot, I'd like that very much. Seeing as how I'm new here, I eally can't seem to figure out how to PM you or anything so I can give you my info.

Sasquatch said:

Guaranteed you are just smoking too aggressively, and the tobacco is probably half at fault, CArn.

Take a pipeful of tobacco and just dry it right out... let it sit on a plate for 1/2hr or even an hour. Then load it very gently into the pipe - just drizzle it in until the bowl is full. Tamp that load down to about 1/2 way, and then take a pinch of tobacco and put it in on top. Light that up, and smoke a little, then tamp the top and light it up again. Then you should have a pretty decent bowl to work with.

If the briar gets hot, just stop. It's not a crime if the pipe goes out. The best flavor is found with the tobacco just barely burning, not ripping red hot. So sip at it, and if it goes out, that's fine. It does take some experimenting, and certainly some blends are easier to smoke than others.

Thank you so much Sasquatch...I'll give that a try.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

Dungmaggot

Once you get 10 posts you'll be able to send me a PM so look around the forum and make a few comments on peoples threads. You'll be to 10 in no time.

I also reccomend trying the newbie sampler in the "trade" section. Great way to experience new tobaccos with very little investment on your part. I just got my sampler in the mail yesterday and I'm grinning like a wolf in the hen house.

Deckard

Dungmaggot said:
I can't blame the guy for going the Capt. Black route really. My first pipe tobacco experience was Super Value Black Cavendish based solely on the fact that it smelled nice in the pouch. I knew nothing about pipes except that I liked the way looked and that I wanted to try one.

The unfortunite fact is that most of us start this way. We "try it out" with absolutely now knowledge at all and relying on the person at the local Cigarette, Ball Cap, and Camel Emporium to steer us in the right direction. My very first time buying a pipe I left with a cheaply made Chinese pipe made of pine and a small box of tobacco that turned out to be made for a hookah all based on what the guy behind the counter handed me. The next day I made it to another tobacco shop and picked up the Super Value and thought it to be just fine until I tried some real tobacco from a B&M.

Lets face it, short of laying out nearly $100 bucks to an internet site for something we may or may not like were left at the mercy of the local shops and we all know that they suck.
It was no criticism of the OP, just the tobacco. I wouldn't know how much it sucks if I hadn't tried it myself.

The funny thing is, if someone wouldn't have told me that it's not good, I wouldn't have known. I thought it was good.

But I'm just getting aquainted with this sort of thing. I mostly dipped smokeless tobacco all my life.

I don't really want to decide what I like until I've tried several different kinds.

I'm just SO overwhelmed by all of the info in this place. I never knew that pipe smoking could be such a science. I'd say the biggest thing I've been able to grasp from all my reading so far is...I'll need to get at least 1 more pipe. My one pipe might not cut it for the few times per weak that I'll be smoking it. Other than that, it's all pretty much information overload right now.

Haha...boy, I've certainly got a lot to learn!

dubhdarra

CArnold40 said:
The funny thing is, if someone wouldn't have told me that it's not good, I wouldn't have known. I thought it was good.

But I'm just getting aquainted with this sort of thing. I mostly dipped smokeless tobacco all my life.

I don't really want to decide what I like until I've tried several different kinds.

I'm just SO overwhelmed by all of the info in this place. I never knew that pipe smoking could be such a science. I'd say the biggest thing I've been able to grasp from all my reading so far is...I'll need to get at least 1 more pipe. My one pipe might not cut it for the few times per weak that I'll be smoking it. Other than that, it's all pretty much information overload right now.

Haha...boy, I've certainly got a lot to learn!
this definitely has the potential to turn into a fullblown pad/tad infection incredibly fast...

Thomasb

awww you guys are making fun of my beloved CB <G>. Actually, I've never tried that one. Just Capt.B white. I would suggest he try PA. The way its cut you can just trickle it into the pipe and go from there. later on you can try cutting your CB with the PA. Make sure you don't pack too tight - I think we all did that when beginning. You have to leave a little air space in there for it to burn right and not bite or keep going out. After the toasting light, GENTLY tamp and then relight. Don't worry about it going out either. I still have times when I'm smoking and doing something that my pipe will go out and I have to relight several times. As the saying goes (kidnapped from HAMBURGER HILL) - AIN'T NO THING...Just smoke slow and enjoy.
Also, welcome to the forum. :bing:

Falconeer

In a way, learning to smoke a pipe is like learning to drive a car - when you're new it all seems to happen to fast and a lot of the time you do the wrong thing simply because you are trying to master too much at the same time.

I'd go with Sasquatch's advice and add - take it easy, sit down and try to relax and ask for a medium strength tobacco to begin with. The pipe itself will take some time to get burned in, so again as time goes by it'll get better.

Rather than puff away like a blast furnace, try to slow down, blow gently down the pipe from time to time to keep it going and think of the old rule - if the pipe bowl is too hot when you try to hold it to your cheek then you're going to fast with it.

There is no substitute to trying a range of different tobaccos to see what suits your taste - this means you'll buy some you don't like; we all did this!

Stick with it, it will all come together

Best

Gerry

Traderbob

I tried some CB Cherry yesterday as I was in a Tobacco Express store and saw it. Upon trying I wondered if I could get my $2.99 I paid back...I had the same goop left in my pipe. You don't have to go with super expensive tobaccos to get a good smoke, but you got to bump up to something better. I suggest you try a pipe and cigar store. The house blends are much cheaper than tins and you can find some good ones.

Deckard said:
Dungmaggot said:
I've tried capt. black and I find it...well its repulsive.
Agreed, smells sickly sweet in the pouch, weak in the mouth, and leaves goop in the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.