• This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Waxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Not a stupid question. We have all asked it at one point or another.

Carnuba Wax in solid bar or puck form, applied with a sewn muslin buff, either mounted on a variable speed motor or a drill.

Get the buff up to speed (medium-high), gently apply the bar/puck to the wheel, and the friction of the buff will pick up the wax. A little goes a long way. You won't really see it on the buff but you'll smell it. Then holding the pipe in your hands, pass it along the wheel lightly and slowly. Hold firmly! It goes on readily but you can build up too much. Then use a flannel buff to remove excess and smooth it all out.

User3940

Here goes this thread.........................................................................Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

SidStavros

I have done it in the past as an experiment. Shoe polish smells different than a Wax,i don't think that it' s good for the Briar to absorb the first.

I've used "Real Milk Paint" Clear Caranuba (floor) wax for hand buffing & for my rusticated pipes.
http://www.realmilkpaint.com/carnauba.html

For my smooth pipes and stems, I use hard caranuba on a buffing wheel, followed by a wipe down with the mostly dry cloth I use for "floor waxing" my briars. I've used a spray "Briar pipe wipe" in the past, but I seemed to be repackaged Pledge-type furniture spray. The shine burned off with a little heat and it smelled strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.