what briar pipe did i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slackjaw

I'm new to the pipe smoking world..visited my local cigar shop and picked one up. It says "roma" on it and "italy". It's a red color etc;with some intricate design on the actual bowl. I picked it up for around 35 dollars. I called the place to find out what kind i had bought and they said it's registered as a "basket pipe" in their system.

Sorry for my lingo i'm new to all this..

cheers,:puff:

Deckard

A basket pipe is generally a no name pipe that was mass produced with so-so quality control to be used as an inexpensive starter pipe or to be put in a basket with other pipes next to the cash register as an impulse buy at a tobacconist. Some of them have various names on them or are billed as a certain brand, but you'll likely not be able to find very much about them as it was done purely for marketing. For instance my first pipe was billed as a "Wellington," but you won't be able to find much about it online and it has Italy stamped under the shank. Another pipe I bought literally from the basket at a cigar shop is stamped in Farsi. They both smoke well, they just don't have a pedigree.

slackjaw

Deckard said:
A basket pipe is generally a no name pipe that was mass produced with so-so quality control to be used as an inexpensive starter pipe or to be put in a basket with other pipes next to the cash register as an impulse buy at a tobacconist. Some of them have various names on them or are billed as a certain brand, but you'll likely not be able to find very much about them as it was done purely for marketing. For instance my first pipe was billed as a "Wellington," but you won't be able to find much about it online and it has Italy stamped under the shank. Another pipe I bought literally from the basket at a cigar shop is stamped in Farsi. They both smoke well, they just don't have a pedigree.
ok thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.