What do you ponder when smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I rarely post threads but I have not seen any about this topic. What do you think about when you are smoking? Now I am not talking about an all day smoke where you are busy maybe with your job or errands and you have multiple bowls throughout the day. But rather in those quiet times (and we have all had them), when it is just you and your pipe. No activity being done, no one to disturb you. Just you and your thoughts. What do you tend to contemplate most?

Backstory time: So I have not been able to smoke a pipe in about 5-6 months. I cannot do it in my apartment, there is no garage or spot outside where I can smoke freely either. When things started to quiet down in my life where i could relax and finally pick it up again, winter hit. The weather has been cold here in NJ as of late and anything 35 or below to me is not the most enjoyable way to experience a fresh bowl of tobacco. So I decided to hold off until the weather got better and today it did. It hit 50 degrees here at one point so everyone was outside. I packed up a pouch and took it with me today in hopes of finding the right time and place where i can finally have my first pipe in almost half a year. This weekend my grandmother is being moved into the dementia/Alzheimers ward at the care facility where she lives. Her house will need to be sold to pay for this. So today I visited the house to pick up a few things. When I was done I realized my time was now. Now there was no place to sit outside so I went into the garage to find a folding chair that I thought my father had taken with him. It was a metal chair that had my late grandfathers name on it and one that i wanted. The irony here is that my grandfather smoked a pipe and i was first introduced to a pipe through him. So there I was today, sitting outside in the chair with his name on it, smoking a pipe (in this case i went with PS Luxury Navy Flake in a MM Devils Anse). The bowl tasted so good. In fact it was the first time i was able to ever pick up flavors and i hardly had to relight. One of the best smokes I've had in a while. Not because of the tobacco but because of the scene. I was thinking about my grandfather and what my grandmother and family is now going through. Memories flooded my mind and it was an absolute zen like state I have never had with a pipe before. The pipe became almost secondary at this point. Like a prop in a play. It was being used but it wasn't the focus. I know I went off here but I feel comfortable sharing this based on some of the amazing people I have followed on here. So what do you think about when its just you and your thoughts? Is this zen like state common or did I just luck out?
If you are still reading this, thanks for the time :)

not the best quality pics ive ever taken, but today it didn't matter.

side note: I took the chair with me. From now on when I smoke outside, a reminder of my grandpa will be with me.

Richard

Fundamentally Unsound
Patron
Hello everyone,
I rarely post threads but I have not seen any about this topic. What do you think about when you are smoking? Now I am not talking about an all day smoke where you are busy maybe with your job or errands and you have multiple bowls throughout the day. But rather in those quiet times (and we have all had them), when it is just you and your pipe. No activity being done, no one to disturb you. Just you and your thoughts. What do you tend to contemplate most?

Backstory time: So I have not been able to smoke a pipe in about 5-6 months. I cannot do it in my apartment, there is no garage or spot outside where I can smoke freely either. When things started to quiet down in my life where i could relax and finally pick it up again, winter hit. The weather has been cold here in NJ as of late and anything 35 or below to me is not the most enjoyable way to experience a fresh bowl of tobacco. So I decided to hold off until the weather got better and today it did. It hit 50 degrees here at one point so everyone was outside. I packed up a pouch and took it with me today in hopes of finding the right time and place where i can finally have my first pipe in almost half a year. This weekend my grandmother is being moved into the dementia/Alzheimers ward at the care facility where she lives. Her house will need to be sold to pay for this. So today I visited the house to pick up a few things. When I was done I realized my time was now. Now there was no place to sit outside so I went into the garage to find a folding chair that I thought my father had taken with him. It was a metal chair that had my late grandfathers name on it and one that i wanted. The irony here is that my grandfather smoked a pipe and i was first introduced to a pipe through him. So there I was today, sitting outside in the chair with his name on it, smoking a pipe (in this case i went with PS Luxury Navy Flake in a MM Devils Anse). The bowl tasted so good. In fact it was the first time i was able to ever pick up flavors and i hardly had to relight. One of the best smokes I've had in a while. Not because of the tobacco but because of the scene. I was thinking about my grandfather and what my grandmother and family is now going through. Memories flooded my mind and it was an absolute zen like state I have never had with a pipe before. The pipe became almost secondary at this point. Like a prop in a play. It was being used but it wasn't the focus. I know I went off here but I feel comfortable sharing this based on some of the amazing people I have followed on here. So what do you think about when its just you and your thoughts? Is this zen like state common or did I just luck out?

side note: I took the chair with me. From now on when I smoke outside, a reminder of my grandpa will be with me.

+1

I wish I could admit to such lofty contemplation, but usually (when not reading or net surfing) it's a mish-mash of whatever has been lurking on the back burners. But I love that. It's a way to air out the things that have accumulated. Great post Ivan.

Thanks for sharing that story, I grew up in West Orange NJ, now living in Ohio.

When I am with the pipe I am usually thinking about various existential questions like why are we here? who put us here? what are we here to do? when we transition from this imperfect state into the all perfect state what will it be like?

We are all heading there, into the great unknown, you have that bond with your grandfather through the pipe, that ties that binds the here and now, to the what was. The same bond I have with my Dad , now departed, and my father in law, departed as well. I know as long as I am here, they are here.

Safe travels and good health!

Stinger4me

I find it enjoyable to sit by a fire at the camp. It is so quiet I can hear the wood burning and maybe watch the clouds passing overhead. If I am smoking a pipe I inherited I give some thought to the prior owner, friend, family member and recall times with that person. Mostly I enjoy doing nothing other than enjoying the pipe and thinking. This was a stimulating question posed to us. Smoke, think and enjoy! Sometimes it is nice to see near a river and watch the water go by, simple but enjoyable.

On good days I make a conscious choice to explore all the shadowy fields of doubt, accept them for the irrational wesknesses they are, and shine a light on them. On a clear night, I trace through the constellations and try to remember star names. On the bad days, I wonder what I did that was so wrong, and whether some ol’ cowboy is gonna add his rocking chair to mine and share a bowl in silence under those stars, or if I’m just gonna try to be stronger than I actually am.

Russell Hartman

Stay Silver
Patron
Great story. While at times I smoke at work because I am outside I tend to prefer to simply relax while smoking my pipes. I tend to try to simply watch nature, read, or simply listen to music. I try to clear my mind of all of those things that put tons of pressure on me, For me pipe smoking is a way out of the total crap that is going on in my life. We all need to take that proverbial chill pill. It helps to just try to clear the mind.

+1

I wish I could admit to such lofty contemplation, but usually (when not reading or net surfing) it's a mish-mash of whatever has been lurking on the back burners. But I love that. It's a way to air out the things that have accumulated. Great post Ivan.
Thank you Richard! Honestly, that is what I always expected to happen to me one day. Cheaper than a counselor ;)

JoeM

Thanks for your post. Often times when I’m smoking and reading, I might set aside my book and remember that I am so much more than the crap I face at work and the world and people are so much more and better than some of the blindness or self-centeredness I see or experience. The whole ritual of smoking and/or meditation calls me to ground myself and commit to living and responding rather than reacting and resenting. I took this coming week off work for that very reason. To get myself clear headed and grounded in the best that I am. Ironically, in prep for my three day Reno trip, I packed up 14 pipes and 13 types of tobacco. Just want to let my spirit decide what is the right pipe/tobacco to be part of that experience. Thanks again for posting. What a profound experience it sounds like you had in your grandfather’s chair, in that home full of memories.

Thanks for sharing that story, I grew up in West Orange NJ, now living in Ohio.

When I am with the pipe I am usually thinking about various existential questions like why are we here? who put us here? what are we here to do? when we transition from this imperfect state into the all perfect state what will it be like?

We are all heading there, into the great unknown, you have that bond with your grandfather through the pipe, that ties that binds the here and now, to the what was. The same bond I have with my Dad , now departed, and my father in law, departed as well. I know as long as I am here, they are here.

Safe travels and good health!
That's definitely how I felt with my grandfather today. I actually work in Newark, not that far from West Orange. Curious, why did you leave to go to Ohio?

avid

Hello everyone,

good words

I find it enjoyable to sit by a fire at the camp. It is so quiet I can hear the wood burning and maybe watch the clouds passing overhead. If I am smoking a pipe I inherited I give some thought to the prior owner, friend, family member and recall times with that person. Mostly I enjoy doing nothing other than enjoying the pipe and thinking. This was a stimulating question posed to us. Smoke, think and enjoy! Sometimes it is nice to see near a river and watch the water go by, simple but enjoyable.
i also love to smoke by a campfire as well though I do have to make sure its a latakia blend :) I'll have to try a river next. Interesting that you mention inherited pipes. I think one of my cousins has my grandfathers pipes. i have see if he still has them and how many handmade pirogies or empanadas I'd have to make him to give one up...

On good days I make a conscious choice to explore all the shadowy fields of doubt, accept them for the irrational wesknesses they are, and shine a light on them. On a clear night, I trace through the constellations and try to remember star names. On the bad days, I wonder what I did that was so wrong, and whether some ol’ cowboy is gonna add his rocking chair to mine and share a bowl in silence under those stars, or if I’m just gonna try to be stronger than I actually am.
Thank you. I also found myself looking at the stars when i first started pipe smoking. My life was all over the place then so it was good to gain a perspective on just how meaningless the small stuff truly is. i think most of us try to be stronger than we are but in reality we are actually stronger then we give ourselves credit for.

Great story. While at times I smoke at work because I am outside I tend to prefer to simply relax while smoking my pipes. I tend to try to simply watch nature, read, or simply listen to music. I try to clear my mind of all of those things that put tons of pressure on me, For me pipe smoking is a way out of the total crap that is going on in my life. We all need to take that proverbial chill pill. It helps to just try to clear the mind.
Amen to that brother

Status
Not open for further replies.