What do you ponder when smoking?

5star

I like to empty my mind of concerns when enjoying a smoke. I focus on the routine of preparing the tobacco, packing the pipe, lighting, tamping, and enjoying the aroma & taste. Once the pipe is going well I might also give attention to the scenery before me - trees, sky, etc.
For me pipe time is a break from having to do a lot of thinking.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
I sit naked on my back porch contemplating my belly button and all the other imponderables of life while I chant my mantra into the ionosphere in a transcendental state of euphoria. Any of you are welcome to join me.

Seriously, I have one of those brains that goes a mile a minute and so I think about everything. My wife on the other hand can sit there and think about nothing. I envy her and everyone else that can do that.

MakDragon

Wizard of PSF
Patron
I sit naked on my back porch contemplating my belly button and all the other imponderables of life while I chant my mantra into the ionosphere in a transcendental state of euphoria. Any of you are welcome to join me.
Thanks for THAT image as I sit and ponder during my next pipe bowl!

I ponder all sorts of things. I love to use the pipe as a tool for self reflection, imagination, thoughtful decisions and philosophical thoughts. Of course, I also smoke a pipe when relaxing and watching movies or driving to and from work and what not but occasionally I’ll light up and thoughts will flow so freely and effortlessly it astounds me. I get great joy in those times and it’s not the most common piping moments and it’s sometimes hard to replicate but it’s these moments that I remember the best and desire the most. The pipe is a thinking mans tool IMO. I’ve also noticed that I can bring forth these moments with a healthy bit of wine and the pipe.

RedScot

The things that I keep close to my person are usually intentionally chosen. My pipes at night (there's a big difference between work and leisure piping) are best for introspection and meditation. No matter how the day has gone, I like to kick around theologies and philosophies and see if new facets can reveal themselves.
Piping lends itself beautifully to deep, calm thinking. It anchors me in the moment and sets me free to wander, all at the same time.