What Does Perique Taste Like?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by wmblake, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

To me the spicy taste/feel on my tongue is way too similar to tongue bite and therefore I do not enjoy it.

DS86 and Malcontent like this.

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

To me, it smells like silage and I get the peppery taste.

bubbagump likes this.
  3. beano

beano Member

smells and tastes like black pepper to me. just getting into some escudo that i put away about 10 months ago and the sharpness has really mellowed. now i will have to smoke another bowl to see if i can put it into words.

but yes, VERY enjoyable flavor when blended into a nice virginia. dont knock it till you try it!

critter likes this.
  4. Prof

Prof Member

This is why the whole "what is in a blend" argument can be so confusing. I am waiting for the perennial answer from some codger, " just smoke what you like, screw what is in it 'cause all this is subjective, and you are stressing over this too much..." or some such I got when *I* asked this question several years ago...

What I decided upon, and which has much room for discussion and disagreement, was that VAs provide sweetness, and may be fermented which makes them sour, Latakia is the campfire smoky additive and may change the VA sweetness to have the peaty plum like dark tones (like adding charred barrel to whiskey), and Perique is peppery giving an overtone or finish which is sharp and spicy. Like the condiment pepper on food, it, to me, makes the sweetness sharper and more pungent...or like adding salt to a chocolate candy, it sharpens and focuses the intensity of the flavor. As such, to my mind, Perique must be used sparingly or it will be overpowering and just nasty. Again, from what I have experienced, the magic, the beauty is in the treatment of the VA's, the pressing, plugging, fermenting...and the addition of the "condimental" tobaccos are the delicate sauces which play with and enhance the main meat of the blend.

Now, I could be completely and totally, fully and recklessly wrong. Please be gentle, this is my first time (he says knowingly).

ruffinogold, Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  5. sonarman

sonarman Member

Sweet figgy raisin hay spice.

wmblake likes this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I find the flavor of Perique changes with what it's blended with and how moist or dry it is. Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake is a favorite if a little moist, but becomes too peppery if well dried out. When it's still moist, the Perique adds a figgy taste. Other VaPers can be like others have described, raisins, plum, figs, prunes, and the salty - peppery gets amped up as the blend dries out.

7. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

I like perique a lot. A lot of "mild" tastes I cannot pick up yet in tobacco, so if a blend doesn't have something it in that is near impossible to miss I usually feel like I'm smoking slightly tasty straw.

Maybe as time goes on and my palette -hopefully- refines itself I can taste the differences in English blends, but until then... give me more perique!

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Bingo :th1:

9. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Although I have to say, there is some in Pirate Kake, which I VERY MUCH enjoy. Go figure.

sonarman likes this.
  10. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Personally I love it.. and some day I am going to take a road trip to St. James Parrish to see it close and up front as it is grown and fermented. Maybe my years of smoking nic sticks have numbed my taste buds... but I do taste a little spice.. like an allspice and a fermented fruity note.. kind of like a raisin or a plum.. All I know is I love blends with Perique in it... I really do.
    Cheers
    Mike

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Kinda peppery IMO

12. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

For a time I hated Perque & would avoid a blend that included it. But Nightcap changed my mind on that.

13. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

I compare perique to tabasco sauce. I don't mean it -tastes- like tabasco, but more like a figurative comparison. It's an ingredient. And one that I happen to really like. Some ppl like a little, none, or a lot, but rarely partake of either straight. Except for maybe a dare in jr. high.

14. critter

critter Member

or weasel pounding, extreme pipe smoker

BernardLerring likes this.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I get soured greens, pepper, salt, and musty dirt. Not a big Perique fan.

16. zappano

zappano Member

for me it's kind a spice and taste soooo good! sorry, i can't explain it in english cause i'm german ;)
    i'm a va/per junkie and love the "sparkling" note at the tongue. my 50 cents... try some vapers from McClelland and check out if ya like it.

wmblake and critter like this.
  17. rsuninv

rsuninv Member

Sometimes I think it's an old tennis shoe heavily peppered. But I really enjoy Cumberland.

18. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Me too!

19. wmblake

wmblake Member

I just bought Grey Havens today. Any experience with it? What am I in for?

20. wmblake

wmblake Member

BTW, my previous question crystallized the reason for the initial question so I thought I'd share.

I bought Grey Havens today. Tin is dated 2011. It cost me $17.50. Of this baccy, McClelland says Matured Virginia, White Burley, Perique.

Now I have a real good idea what to expect from a McClelland VA. I know what burley adds to the blend. But what about perique? Knowing what each component brings to the table can help me to more efficiently invest my $17.

That said, I'll wait for an hour or two to see if I get some good descriptions of what "White" burley tastes like before I start a burley thread. ;):popc:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.