What Does Perique Taste Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beano

smells and tastes like black pepper to me. just getting into some escudo that i put away about 10 months ago and the sharpness has really mellowed. now i will have to smoke another bowl to see if i can put it into words.

but yes, VERY enjoyable flavor when blended into a nice virginia. dont knock it till you try it!

Prof

This is why the whole "what is in a blend" argument can be so confusing. I am waiting for the perennial answer from some codger, " just smoke what you like, screw what is in it 'cause all this is subjective, and you are stressing over this too much..." or some such I got when *I* asked this question several years ago...

What I decided upon, and which has much room for discussion and disagreement, was that VAs provide sweetness, and may be fermented which makes them sour, Latakia is the campfire smoky additive and may change the VA sweetness to have the peaty plum like dark tones (like adding charred barrel to whiskey), and Perique is peppery giving an overtone or finish which is sharp and spicy. Like the condiment pepper on food, it, to me, makes the sweetness sharper and more pungent...or like adding salt to a chocolate candy, it sharpens and focuses the intensity of the flavor. As such, to my mind, Perique must be used sparingly or it will be overpowering and just nasty. Again, from what I have experienced, the magic, the beauty is in the treatment of the VA's, the pressing, plugging, fermenting...and the addition of the "condimental" tobaccos are the delicate sauces which play with and enhance the main meat of the blend.

Now, I could be completely and totally, fully and recklessly wrong. Please be gentle, this is my first time (he says knowingly).

BradNTX

I find the flavor of Perique changes with what it's blended with and how moist or dry it is. Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake is a favorite if a little moist, but becomes too peppery if well dried out. When it's still moist, the Perique adds a figgy taste. Other VaPers can be like others have described, raisins, plum, figs, prunes, and the salty - peppery gets amped up as the blend dries out.

InAbsentia

I like perique a lot. A lot of "mild" tastes I cannot pick up yet in tobacco, so if a blend doesn't have something it in that is near impossible to miss I usually feel like I'm smoking slightly tasty straw.

Maybe as time goes on and my palette -hopefully- refines itself I can taste the differences in English blends, but until then... give me more perique!

ruffinogold

Mayor
This is why the whole "what is in a blend" argument can be so confusing. I am waiting for the perennial answer from some codger, " just smoke what you like, screw what is in it 'cause all this is subjective, and you are stressing over this too much..." or some such I got when *I* asked this question several years ago...

What I decided upon, and which has much room for discussion and disagreement, was that VAs provide sweetness, and may be fermented which makes them sour, Latakia is the campfire smoky additive and may change the VA sweetness to have the peaty plum like dark tones (like adding charred barrel to whiskey), and Perique is peppery giving an overtone or finish which is sharp and spicy. Like the condiment pepper on food, it, to me, makes the sweetness sharper and more pungent...or like adding salt to a chocolate candy, it sharpens and focuses the intensity of the flavor. As such, to my mind, Perique must be used sparingly or it will be overpowering and just nasty. Again, from what I have experienced, the magic, the beauty is in the treatment of the VA's, the pressing, plugging, fermenting...and the addition of the "condimental" tobaccos are the delicate sauces which play with and enhance the main meat of the blend.

Now, I could be completely and totally, fully and recklessly wrong. Please be gentle, this is my first time (he says knowingly).

Bingo :th1:

Gothicmace

Personally I love it.. and some day I am going to take a road trip to St. James Parrish to see it close and up front as it is grown and fermented. Maybe my years of smoking nic sticks have numbed my taste buds... but I do taste a little spice.. like an allspice and a fermented fruity note.. kind of like a raisin or a plum.. All I know is I love blends with Perique in it... I really do.
Cheers
Mike

I compare perique to tabasco sauce. I don't mean it -tastes- like tabasco, but more like a figurative comparison. It's an ingredient. And one that I happen to really like. Some ppl like a little, none, or a lot, but rarely partake of either straight. Except for maybe a dare in jr. high.

critter

I compare perique to tabasco sauce. I don't mean it -tastes- like tabasco, but more like a figurative comparison. It's an ingredient. And one that I happen to really like. Some ppl like a little, none, or a lot, but rarely partake of either straight. Except for maybe a dare in jr. high.
or weasel pounding, extreme pipe smoker

for me it's kind a spice and taste soooo good! sorry, i can't explain it in english cause i'm german ;)
i'm a va/per junkie and love the "sparkling" note at the tongue. my 50 cents... try some vapers from McClelland and check out if ya like it.

wmblake

for me it's kind a spice and taste soooo good! sorry, i can't explain it in english cause i'm german ;)
i'm a va/per junkie and love the "sparkling" note at the tongue. my 50 cents... try some vapers from McClelland and check out if ya like it.
I just bought Grey Havens today. Any experience with it? What am I in for?

wmblake

BTW, my previous question crystallized the reason for the initial question so I thought I'd share.

I bought Grey Havens today. Tin is dated 2011. It cost me $17.50. Of this baccy, McClelland says Matured Virginia, White Burley, Perique.

Now I have a real good idea what to expect from a McClelland VA. I know what burley adds to the blend. But what about perique? Knowing what each component brings to the table can help me to more efficiently invest my $17.

That said, I'll wait for an hour or two to see if I get some good descriptions of what "White" burley tastes like before I start a burley thread. ;):popc:

Status
Not open for further replies.