what would you do..

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by moosecop, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosecop

moosecop Member

I have not seen a simular thread so if this is repeated somewhere I hope the mods fix it...

Its Christmas.. your sitting around with others and you are given a box in the shape of a pipe.. you open it and its a pipe.. but you hate it.. Its just not you, for some reason.. your appreciative but your kidda floored.. lets say its just ugly and you probably wont smoke it..
    what would you do? And they expect you to smoke it now..

I will post my answer after a few replys...I dont want to throw anyone off...

BernardLerring likes this.

2. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

I'd graciously thank them, put in my best tobacco and enjoy smoking it. After all it's the thought that counts.

3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I'm thinking if it is a gift you show full appreciation. If it's an ugly tie -- wear it. If it's a pipe -- smoke it. And be grateful.

4. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Tell them how much you appreciate their thoughtfulness and light up. I've done stupid things with gifts before. Don't repeat my mistakes.

umfunix, Preacher1611, olddog and 6 others like this.
  5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

You got an Ebay account?

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

This could be a teachable moment, but good manners suggest you be a stoic, loving, and proud piper, and shut up
    ;-)

Smoke it. It'll help keep your mouth closed.

Think of all the dads going to work on Monday wearing hideous ties. They are your brothers.

7. moosecop

moosecop Member

If it was a cheaper pipe I would light it and smoke it.. I would hate though for this to continue each year as my ugly tie.. If it was over 30 bucks and it was bought at a local B and M I would say.. this is nice..where did you get it.. Then I would say. You know, I had my eye on ...there . Would you mind if I returned it and put it towards that...But to start with I would hope they would know my tastes by looking at my pipe rack or talking with the staff at the B and M....Im just real particular on my pipes..

rigormootis and Spillproof like this.
  8. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Whomever gifted it must have thought it was nice - or they wouldn't have chosen that one.
    I'd smoke it and put it in the rack. It's a gift after all.

umfunix, Preacher1611, olddog and 3 others like this.
  9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'll play devil's advocate here if no one else will... you could explain that even though it's brand new, you'd like to give it a good thorough clean before you light up a new pipe, you know to remove any left over sanding dust, remove a bowl coating, buff off any remaining compound from the stem... whatever sounds good to you.

If you have any idea where it came from you could return it later, discretely asking something along the lines of "I hadn't seen this pipe in my favorite shop, where did you find it?"

If it's under 30 bucks, and is made of briar, sounds like you got yourself a Grabow, and if so, do yourself a favor and light that sucker up! I've got a Grabow "freehand" "volcano" that is as ugly as homemade sin, bad rustication and all, but it smokes like a dream!

10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Twice -- from two women years apart -- I received Danish freehand pipes. Since most all of my pipes at the time were straights, Canadians, Lumberman or Lovats they really didn't "fit" with my style or tastes. I never thought for a moment about retuning something which clearly had been given a lot of thought. I filled them and smoked them -- and, you know what? -- I still have them and they mean a lot to me even now.

rigormootis, umfunix, olddog and 8 others like this.
  11. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I would smoke it. My wife got her father a knife for Christmas. A good one. He simply asked for a knife so she got the best she could within our budget. As he opened it she asked what he thought. He replied "it's not what I had in mind but it will do". Of course she didn't take it well. She thought she did well and was proud of her gift. Granted he is an all around a**hole but today I saw the importance of knowing that it truly is the thought that counts. Today I saw in my wife's eyes the little girl wanting her father to say thank you and be proud, instead I saw the familiar look of sadness. Again he is an arse.

rigormootis, raf66, umfunix and 18 others like this.
  12. moosecop

moosecop Member

I dont think there any right or wrong answers here.. This has not happened to me but was curious how others would handle this..

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats gross [ Danish Freehands ] :xd:

Heck , man ... smoke it and trade it off here . Theres plenty of people who might not think it's ugly at all

14. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Smoke it. You never know, it might turn out to be the best pipe you ever had!

15. sonarman

sonarman Member

Smoke it. Just because it does not look like what you wanted does not mean it it's a bad pipe. And you won't know until you smoke a few bowls throught it.

Preacher1611, sillyoldbear and jhelms like this.
  16. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

ME---I would keep it and smoke it. Heres why.
    #1--The person who gifted the pipe to you was thinking of you when they purchased it.
    #2--At the time the person purchased it to be a gift--again at that time they were thinking of you. They had you in mind and it meant something to them-so they got it for you.
    #3--Pipes that were or are given as a gift mean a lot to me personally as I said because the individual took time out of their life--a moment in time and said to themselves--"Hey that pipe--I am going to buy it--I have a special person in mind in which I am going to give it to. Perhaps the receiver of the pipe would not have purchased that pipe--however the person who did had you in the heart and mind. They thought enough of you to pick it out and present it to you. Allow time to let that pipe grow on you knowing that it was given from the heart. YOU meant enough to that person that they actually gifted it to you--cherish it--give the pipe a chance. Time and smoking will tell if the pipe itself is a good smoker. Give it a chance--perhaps that pipe will grow on you and provide you with a surprise of not only fond memories but good to great smoking qualities. You will not however know this until you give it a chance. :bing::bing::th1:

umfunix, DS86, mongo and 9 others like this.
  17. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I would load it, smoke it, and swear it was the best gift I'd ever received. Because someone thought the world of you to give it. Its just the right thing to do. Cheers.:toast:

Edit: Thought I'd better. lol

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    umfunix, olddog, sillyoldbear and 4 others like this.
  18. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I think I would do like my father used to do. I swear this is what he did, although I could never prove it. I used to but him a pipe either for Father's Day or Christmas. He would at least pretend he would love it, fire it up so everyone could see him smoking it, then put it up and pull out his old beater pipe. Whether he kept it or not, I have no idea. So I would probably smoke it once then on the rack. Who knows, might turn in to my next beater pipe.

sillyoldbear and jhelms like this.
  19. jhelms

jhelms Active Member

I would smoke it at least once in their presence. It really is the thought that counts. They probably bought it thinking it was perfect for you. Your acceptance of it is no more than a little white lie.

rigormootis, umfunix and sillyoldbear like this.
  20. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Smoke & smile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.