what would you do..

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by moosecop, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super K

Super K Active Member

I was gifted some tobacco today that really isn't the best, but my wife tried her best and I will smoke it. It may be blended in to something else, or enjoyed when I have nothing else. She did good.

2. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I'd smoke it. Was it someone close to you who gave to you? I bet they were pretty excited to give it to you knowing your a pipe smoker. I'd keep it as a reminder of this day and the thought that was put into it. This is comming from a guy that has brand new shirts hanging in the closet still with tags from Christmas past.

3. waxman65

waxman65 Member

smoke it and smile
    The thoughts its what i really counts i have my ugly duck too (present) and its one of my best smokers but i still hate the shape :(

Eric Pierson and sillyoldbear like this.
  4. JWG25

JWG25 Active Member

I'm pretty sure that scenario is the definition of a "First-world problem."

Preacher1611, buistd, JRobert and 3 others like this.
  5. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I'm a sucker for sentiment, so even if it was, dare I say it, a Peterson Dracula (not even in my zip-code never mind ballpark)
    I would thank them for the wonderful gift, and light that puppy up! Years later I would probably look on it with a chuckle and fondness, even if it is only for the irony...

6. SimonR

SimonR Member

Here's my take: As the receiver of a gift, your duty is done by receiving the gift with good grace. Once you've done that, your responsibilities are officially discharged.

In your hypothetical situation it might mean firing it up, or making a very good excuse not to.

For context, I loathe being given presents. Loathe it. Any kind of presents. Ever. (I'm a curmudgeon in training.) Almost everything I've ever been given has gone straight to goodwill, or straight in the bin at the back door before even entering the house. I'm a bit particular about stuff. I don't like having a lot of it, and if I haven't got one it's probably because I don't want one, or I'm still saving up to get exactly the one I've been fixated on for years.

Comments like, "I noticed all your crockery is white, so I bought you some that's blue" blow my mind. I smile, nod, thank the giver (in this case the sister-in-law), then dump it in the trash after she leaves. I don't feel concerned about her wondering where it is, or checking on it. People who know me, know not to buy me presents because I'm up front about it. The most frustrated I get about the whole thing is when people won't take no for a answer. If a gift is about the person that you're giving it to, and they've asked not to be given anything, I reckon the best gift is to go with that.

*Now officially dismounting my high-horse*

The kids gave me Lego for Christmas and I loved it.

7. Husayn

Husayn Member

Here's my 2c for what it's worth...(hopefully more than 2c lol)...there was once a spiritual man who was fond of a particular sweet. He visited the house of one of his students, and they prepared for him a large batch of his favourite sweet.
    He began to eat them, and eat and eat and eat, to the point where he didn't share them with anyone else, and asked for whatever else they had prepared in the kitchen.
    Stunned at the spiritual man's apparent greed, they procured all of the sweets they had prepared and served them to the man, who proceeded to eat them all.
    When he had finished, he thanked them much, and left.
    Now, when the husband and wife went to cook later that night, still pondering over what had happened, they went to grab the salt, but alas they had used it all instead of the sugar in the sweets. Only then had they realised the wisdom in the man's consuming all of the sweets made with salt, to protect the dignity of those who made them.
    So, in a nutshell, take one for the team, wear it on the chin and make the one giving the gift feel appreciated!

True story by the way :)

rigormootis, DS86, olddog and 6 others like this.
  8. Husayn

Husayn Member

That being said too, in the etiquette of giving and receiving, the giver forfeits all rights to the gift upon the receival by the one receiving :)

Explorer352, sillyoldbear and SimonR like this.
  9. aggman

aggman Member

If you give the impression that it's a bad gift you are very unlikely to get future pipe gifts which may turn out to be the perfect pipe for you. It's a gift - you have nothing invested, so nothing to lose.

10. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

If given a pipe by someone who cares enough to choose one for me I would cherish it no matter what it was.

11. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

My mother-in-law have me a Barling system pipe for my birthday this year.

[​IMG]

Not really my thing, but I smiled and thanked her and asked her why she chose this one. She told me that she spoke to the gentleman at the store about various brands, shapes and finishes and that she landed on this one because of the finish, and how it would change with use.

Now it's one of my favourite pipes, smokes good too, a little gurgley occasionally but that's okay. She went to a lot of effort to pick a pipe for me, and one that would be more and more mine as I used it. How thoughtful is that?

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'd say "This is an ugly pipe! You tryin' to tell me sumpin?".

moosecop likes this.
  13. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

There's always next year's Secret Santa... :puffy:

SimonR, moosecop and sillyoldbear like this.
  14. Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs Member

Smoke it and keep the pipe..What if something were to happen to the person who gave it to you..and you had gotten rid of it ?

Ephraim, MikeInMaine and sillyoldbear like this.
  15. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Be gracious and smoke it, its not like you have to make that your one and only smoker. Heck if need be you can wait a few months and lament the fact that you forgot it was in your jacket pocket and then you sat on your jacket. However someone who knows you enjoy pipes went out and bought you one so show them that you appreciate the gesture.

Ephraim likes this.
  16. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I mostly agree with this sentiment, as expressed earlier. However, I would avoid "sitting" on the pipe. If someone notices it is not part of your daily, or even weekly, rotation just explain it is such a nice pipe you are saving it for special occasions.

moosecop and sillyoldbear like this.
  17. zacROK

zacROK Member

I would just keep it and smoke it.

The one pipe that was gifted to me was from my father. It is not my favorite pipe or best smoking pipe. I smoke it regularly. Every time, it bring backs memories of him. I haven't been able to see him in a few years and don't get much time to talk with him. I always remember him and think of him when I see or smoke the pipe. I did not feel this way when I received the pipe. I have grown to love and cherish the pipe for all the memories it brings back. I might have a little more sentimental value invested in the pipe, but I would never think of doing anything outside of smoking that pipe. You might just learn to to love the pipe, even if it is not your "thing."

18. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I am VERY particular with my pipes, they all pretty much look the same. That being said, I would smoke it and enjoy it. There would have to be something offensive about the pipe for me to not want it, even if it wasn't my style or just plain ugly, I'd smoke it, and if it was a good smoker, add it to my rotation.

Ephraim and sillyoldbear like this.
  19. moosecop

moosecop Member

20. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Husayn, dwaugh and SimonR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.