what would you do..

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by moosecop, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosecop

moosecop Member

It was from someone who usually gives me a 3.99 5 gallon tin of popcorn, you know the cheapskate who thinks the largest cheapest gift is the best. I see its about the same price..

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

That pipe..... Here is a thread about those https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/haojue-pipes-from-china.13565/

I agreed with everyones comments about just smoking it.... but given that pipe is made of plastic, and then has a painted metal insert (all from a country known for quality control issues especially involving toxins). I would probably not smoke it. Although a few puffs isn't going to kill you. I would probably take the Jussto approach and say it needed to be cleaned first. You could even do that while the person was watching and make a big production of the pipe cleaners and alcohol, and all that while explaining that it will need a day or two to rest and dry out. All while saying nice things about the pipe....

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Last year my daughter proudly presented me with a pipe that she bought for me. It was one of those from the Czech Republic that feels like it is made of balsa wood and had their carvings all over it. We see them on eBay all the time. I made a huge deal over the gift, and the pipe maintains a spot in my collection display. I occasionally smoke a bowl out of it so that she sees that it is being used. The pipe is special to me because she bought it for me. Matters not how ugly it is, or how terribly it smokes, it is one of my favorites because of her.

4. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Damn, I thought you said it was an expensive pipe. I was expecting to see a tobacco pipe, not a weed pipe. I am convinced that is all those are. I wouldn't smoke it and I wouldn't give it away. It is meant for the garbage. But I would thank them, just like you do with the 5 gallon tin of popcorn.
    This certainly makes sense. If the gift was from someone who took a lot of time to pick it out, they would have read the reviews which are terrible. Of the three who give it four stars. One is smoking medicinal herbs out of it. :hip1: The other talks about the look of it and how efficiently it was delivered. i.e. they never smoked it. And the third (my favorite) likes the pointy end because his fingers don't get burned (lol this person does not know how to smoke a pipe.

5. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

rigormootis and Eric Pierson like this.
  6. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I would graciously accept it as a gift.
    I have many things given to me as gifts over the years. I keep them all because...they are gifts and I would hate myself many years from now had I thrown them away.
    Also, feelings are easily hurt and the last thing I would ever want to do is insult someone who was nice enough to have given me a gift.

Coastal Bend and sillyoldbear like this.
  7. moosecop

moosecop Member

Who says I thank him.. I take it out in the parking lot and put it under his passenger side front tire so he drives over it.. im an ungrateful sob.. You got to love people who go to Walmart and load up on these on Black Friday... seriously, take the money and donate it to 2nd harvest or a food bank..

Eric Pierson and sillyoldbear like this.
  8. Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng Member

Is a give... So smoke it and you don't want to make anyone sad or disappointed. If you don't like it, you can always keep it as memories.
    I don't mind anything given by friends or family as present.

Ephraim likes this.
  9. Rockbass

Rockbass Member

When I started to read this thread, I was of the mind to tell the white lie about needing a special tobacco to break it in. After forty-eight posts I am of the mind to smoke it happily and appreciate it as a thoughtful gift, then send it to Coastie to beautify. I have learned a valuable life lesson.

sillyoldbear likes this.
  10. Malus Rex

Malus Rex Member

Smoke it & enjoy the fact that someone cared enough to get you a pipe. Imagine how hard it would be to light up a bowl in a Christmas necktie?

11. moosecop

moosecop Member

I don't know if Coastie can work with plastic pipes..

Eric Pierson and sillyoldbear like this.
  12. sillyoldbear

I'd rather smoke a necktie than a $4 plastic and metal pipe.

13. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

As diplomatically as possible I'd like to say it seems most of our responses were offered with limited information. I thought, as it appears several did, we were talking about a tobacco pipe that just not meet the taste of the OP. Also, I was under the impression it came from someone that meant something to the OP -- perhaps from a wife or offspring. Instead it was a cheap plastic pipe not suitable for use with tobacco given by a "cheapskate." (Makes me think of a brother-in-law or the uncle that must be included at family gatherings.) All this makes me want to walk back some of my previous advice.

As a side note I'll add that once upon a time I got a Christmas gift from my brother, who can be tight and thoughtless. It was a mason jar of beans. Really. I'm pretty sure he got it from a client and re-gifted. I set it aside and two years later I re-gifted the same jar of beans -- back to my brother. :laff:

14. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

15. Husayn

Husayn Member

Having now obtained what appears to be the full picture, that being the said abomination of a 'pipe' being gifted by a notorious cheapskate of no sentimental value - there appears to be one solution only....

....take it to the firing range and enjoy seeing it obliterated!!!! :D

mongo, Eric Pierson and sillyoldbear like this.
  16. Husayn

Husayn Member

A brilliant idea! My cheapskate good for nothing boss once gave me a crappy little coke radio, and said he got a special gift for me, along with a blow-up Coca-Cola ball which he said was especially for my new born daughter. The cheapskate received these 2c gifts from his Coca-Cola representative, I could have punched him in the face for the insult!
    He's just sold the business, so if I can find that junk lying around it'd be great to give it to him as a farewell present!!! :D

17. sillyoldbear

Are the new owners taking you on?

18. Husayn

Husayn Member

I certainly hope so! The new owner isn't a baker, and I'm the head baker here running a team of unqualified staff lol, so I imagine it would be suicide to get rid of me - unless he has something totally new in mind!

SimonR and sillyoldbear like this.
  19. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Smoke it and keep it. It'l grow on you and years later, you will have a story to tell to your grandchildren of a person who gave you this pipe. It becomes part of your 'history'.

olddog and sillyoldbear like this.
  20. craig

craig Active Member

I would smoke it because someone has put thought into a gift like that.
    Just because its ugly doesnt mean it wont be a good smoker.

sillyoldbear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.