whats the wierdest,strangest,silliest or just down right stupid thing you have used for a tamper?.

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by craig, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

Hey guys hope your well.

So as we know, those of us who arent thick skinned and brave enough to use our fingers, have to have something to press down our tobacco when smoking.
    Normally we have the trusty tamper,pipe tool etc, but it always amazes,frustrates and annoys me that i always seem to mislay mine and im sure a lot of us have the same problem.
    Which means we have to find a replacement for the trusty tamper, which can result in a whole manner of things being used. a couple of my memorable ones are:

a 7.62 bullet. (I know a few of you are probably thinking omg you idiot, but this bullet was inert so there was no risk of me blowing me face off, which come to think of it would of been trying to explain that one away in accident and emergency).

a five pence piece pressed down with my finger and flicked out with a little bit of twig.

an actual twig i hacked off a bush in my garden.

one of my mothers lipsticks (which was met with very strong repercussions).

a chap stick.

the bottom of my pipe lighter.

and the first time i tried pipe smoking i thought i would be clever and use my finger, which resulted in me recoiling back, losing my grip and dropping my pipe which ended up me juggling my pipe getting showered with hot embers, and making my t-shirt look like a sieve.

So thats a few of my silly strange wierd and slightly dangerous improvisations for a missing tamper, do any of you have any other additions.

umfunix likes this.

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

I use my finger.
    I like to live life on the wild side sometimes...
    :D

capt dave, Scurvy and dwaugh like this.
  3. craig

craig Active Member

i like to keep my fingers blister free lol, being resourceful in finding a tamper is much more fun than sizzling your fingers :D

umfunix likes this.
  4. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

If I use my finger, I just make sure I can no longer really see the red of the tobacco burning when I'm gonna tamp. :cool:
    Works 100% of the time.

5. craig

craig Active Member

ahh maybe thats my problem, well i suppose its anyones problem who decides to dip their fingers into a 700.c plus flaming wad of tobacco

Brit abroad likes this.
  6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Most of the time just a finger..
    I have used, wood screw, 5/8 bolt, twig and a pen too.

7. craig

craig Active Member

i think its kinda fun in a way when you lose your tamper as its a little game what can be the perfect surrogate tamper for that given smoke :D

umfunix and Kiowapipe like this.
  8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's a nice positive attitude.. actually it doesn't bother me other than trying to find that darn tamper I lost.. I know it's in a jacket pocket somewhere.. :confused:

9. craig

craig Active Member

Its actually my biggest problem when i wear certain pairs of jeans and my jacket i have at least 10 pockets, so it can take me round about half an hour to find my kit before i even start smoking :P

Professor likes this.
  10. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Battery to one of my ecigs...
    (This is highly unrecommended as one should never heat a battery... they can explode)

ruffinogoldswife likes this.
  11. CplDLB

CplDLB Member

I just use golf tees. A bag of tees is very cheap. I try to keep one in my pocket, and I always have a few sticking in the vents in my car. I have golf tees every where and I don't even play golf.

12. deyo67

deyo67 Member

My finger. OUCH !!!!!!!!

13. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

1/2" drill bit. The flat end.

14. Capt

Capt Active Member

My wife's finger.

aggman, maxflatus, DS86 and 9 others like this.
  15. Scurvy

Scurvy Member

Pocket knife, a twig, chapstick, Bic pen cap (nice because it also has a poker/spoon)

Kiowapipe likes this.
  16. Jay

Jay Active Member

a pen cap as mentioned above, a screw, a nail, a pencil eraser, the handle to a small putty knife. All with varying degrees of effectiveness. Usually failing to some degree, nothing beats a proper tamper. Using fingers can cause a bit of discomfort and my fingers are too large or my bowls too small to get past halfway into the bowl.

17. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

a live 7.62x54 round. random twigs I grab. A 9mm round pulled out of an extra magazine. Never used manure I found, though. I swear!
    Smoking a pipe while out and about with the farm is always an adventure. :D

PS--The 7.62x54 caliber is what claimed my hand. For the firearms enthusiasts, I will explain how. Firing pin protrusion beyond safe range. safety engaged, thus retracting firing pin to a "safe" position. Loaded rifle received a bump, and my hand received a bullet. Worst gift ever! :P

Old Codger likes this.
  18. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

sheer will

...works every time

kojava, dwaugh, Preacher1611 and 2 others like this.
  19. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Nails, pieces of wood, finger, usually my finger or a tamper though. If I'm driving and I need to tamp while turning I'll stick my finger in there!

20. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My ex-wife's nose.

And I know what you're thinking... "that's probably why she divorced you". To which I'd respond, "yeah, and it did pretty well on the tamp, too!".

capt dave, irish2fish, craig and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.