whats the wierdest,strangest,silliest or just down right stupid thing you have used for a tamper?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught my wife using a one of those spill sticks from that place that sells coffee last night... end that goes in the coffee as a poker, top side as a tamper.

I've used the handle end of an MRE spoon because I always have those around. Also, the bottom of a super glue bottle and a sharpie cap. Pretty much anything else I have around that looks about the right size.

Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

craig

Caught my wife using a one of those spill sticks from that place that sells coffee last night... end that goes in the coffee as a poker, top side as a tamper.

I've used the handle end of an MRE spoon because I always have those around. Also, the bottom of a super glue bottle and a sharpie cap. Pretty much anything else I have around that looks about the right size.
like you and your wifes inspiration fella

Dogman

Spent bullet casings, .223 is the right size for all of my bowls. Trying to think of something I can jam into the open end to make them purdy...

Ive used my finger quite a few times but I've also used the blunt end of my ole ladies fine silver ware(Bad Idea!), a tiny hammer, I have gauged ears and have used a 5/8 tapered earring, Oh heheh the other day on Christmas I used a candy cane!! I'm sure there are plenty more things I've used but I can't recall at the moment!

Biggles

I've always got my forefinger so I'm not too bothered when I do forget my tamp, but if I were I reckon the odd stick would do fine in a pinch. Having said that I do have a fondness for bamboo tamps and I've lost my share, so maybe, just maybe some other chap picked one up and put it to good use. :doh:

why the shock over the live rounds? takes a whole lot more heat than what an ember produces to set the primer off.

That said, I've yet to NEED an improvised tamper, but I have access to basically unlimited hinge pins, and metal stock, so I may make a few to keep around just in case. Will also bring back a few rounds from my next range trip and make something purdy out of them... Thanks for the inspiration guys!

AL

funny enough, I had a bit of a commute across town this afternoon, so I packed a half-bowl and off I went. Couldn't lay my hands on my Czech Tool, so I went for a (lock geek word coming up) LM tailpiece for a lock cylinder. The type that would be in a deadbolt. It had a nice big round flat and a full-sized handle. A little small, but it did the job well while I was driving.

Forgot my tamper one night while I was at work. I carry a streamlight microstream with me at all times. Pretty cool to see what Iam doing in the dark and tamp my pipe at the same time.

Gunslinger,

noodle

Other than those losted the only thing I can add is a maglite solitaire and metal aglets oh edit and a door handle once thankfully no one opened it while I was doing this
Its nomally my fingers though but a couple of my pipes are too small for me to do thay once you get past the first third

Status
Not open for further replies.