whats the wierdest,strangest,silliest or just down right stupid thing you have used for a tamper?.

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by craig, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

Caught my wife using a one of those spill sticks from that place that sells coffee last night... end that goes in the coffee as a poker, top side as a tamper.

I've used the handle end of an MRE spoon because I always have those around. Also, the bottom of a super glue bottle and a sharpie cap. Pretty much anything else I have around that looks about the right size.

craig likes this.

2. craig

craig Active Member

like you and your wifes inspiration fella

3. Frank H

Frank H Member

A hing pin for one if the doors in my house! I took the middle one so the door still worked right!

4. craig

craig Active Member

Gotta hand it to you frank the ingwnuity is class

umfunix likes this.
  5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...you can use those for tampers? :eek:

MikeInMaine likes this.
  6. craig

craig Active Member

Ted your a smart arse (i mean that in the nicest possible way teddy bear :D ) it was meant to be ingenuity but im on my android phonw and you need fingers the width of cocktail sticks for the buttons lol

umfunix, noodle and Old Ted like this.
  7. Dogman

Dogman Member

Spent bullet casings, .223 is the right size for all of my bowls. Trying to think of something I can jam into the open end to make them purdy...

8. AnonSage

AnonSage Member

Ive used my finger quite a few times but I've also used the blunt end of my ole ladies fine silver ware(Bad Idea!), a tiny hammer, I have gauged ears and have used a 5/8 tapered earring, Oh heheh the other day on Christmas I used a candy cane!! I'm sure there are plenty more things I've used but I can't recall at the moment!

craig likes this.
  9. Biggles

Biggles Member

I've always got my forefinger so I'm not too bothered when I do forget my tamp, but if I were I reckon the odd stick would do fine in a pinch. Having said that I do have a fondness for bamboo tamps and I've lost my share, so maybe, just maybe some other chap picked one up and put it to good use. :doh:

10. piper mike

piper mike Member

wish I had known that trick back at the beginning of my last marriage ...not only would it have saved me time but I'd still be laughing

11. althelockguy

althelockguy Member

why the shock over the live rounds? takes a whole lot more heat than what an ember produces to set the primer off.

That said, I've yet to NEED an improvised tamper, but I have access to basically unlimited hinge pins, and metal stock, so I may make a few to keep around just in case. Will also bring back a few rounds from my next range trip and make something purdy out of them... Thanks for the inspiration guys!

AL

Preacher1611 and craig like this.
  12. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

I have used a hinge pin from an old door a little on the heavy side though also I whittled one out of a maple stick

13. craig

craig Active Member

im almost at the point now where it doesnt burn when i use my finger as a tamper lol

14. althelockguy

althelockguy Member

funny enough, I had a bit of a commute across town this afternoon, so I packed a half-bowl and off I went. Couldn't lay my hands on my Czech Tool, so I went for a (lock geek word coming up) LM tailpiece for a lock cylinder. The type that would be in a deadbolt. It had a nice big round flat and a full-sized handle. A little small, but it did the job well while I was driving.

Brit abroad likes this.
  15. tungbite

tungbite Member

When I forget my tamper tool, I look for a discarded cigarette butt with a filter...filter works great as an emergency tamper :cool:.

Dwijattam, MDaws79 and craig like this.
  16. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Forgot my tamper one night while I was at work. I carry a streamlight microstream with me at all times. Pretty cool to see what Iam doing in the dark and tamp my pipe at the same time.

Gunslinger,

Brit abroad likes this.
  17. Stormy

Stormy Member

A zip drive.

18. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

A Pyrodex pellet doesn't make a good tamper:eek:

Preacher1611 likes this.
  19. noodle

noodle Member

Other than those losted the only thing I can add is a maglite solitaire and metal aglets oh edit and a door handle once thankfully no one opened it while I was doing this
    Its nomally my fingers though but a couple of my pipes are too small for me to do thay once you get past the first third

craig likes this.
  20. Tate

Tate Member

I use an old discarded pin from a door hinge as one of my tampers.

craig likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.