Who Made This Pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member

Word on the street is Peter Brakner worked for Stanwell (and several other carvers) before he started his own enterprise. So! Did Peter Brakner make this Stanwell/Henley as a precursor to his later, distinctive, trademark "Antique" finish line? Ever seen anything else with these precise characteristics from another maker?

You can see a series of fine rustication marks just kissing the rim on the Henley; it reminds one of the later Brakner Antique finish which was much finer and never would interlope on grain trim.

cst

I see what you mean, when you supasize the picture there is a definite border where the rustifying ends and the smoothness on the rim starts on the Brakner version. Or the one branded Brakner.
Those are some good looking pipes. Do you own both?

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
cst said:
I see what you mean, when you supasize the picture there is a definite border where the rustifying ends and the smoothness on the rim starts on the Brakner version. Or the one branded Brakner.
Those are some good looking pipes. Do you own both?
Good point.

Here are three rim details from three Brakners. Each has a deliniation or boundary between rim and rustication.

The Henley is subtley different in the respect that they merge.

Yes - the Henley and many Brakners are mine. I just love Brakner "Antiques." Lovely wood, superb rustication, original renderings, great smokers and excellent vulcanite. The Henley was impossible for me to pass on ebay with the possibility it was an early Brakner made or designed pipe; it was a fair buy at $90 on its own and it turns out to be a lovely smoker.

The mystery remains...

Status
Not open for further replies.