Why does my tobacco taste like a stale cigar at times?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Cristos, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cristos

Cristos Member

Hey again guys!

Got another question that I've been meaning to ask for a while now. I've noticed that there are times (randomly it seems) that if I smoke a bowl about half way or more, then put it down for around an hour, when I light it back up it tastes very ashy...I'm reminded of cigars that I've let go out and relit. It's just a very stale smoke and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Some tobaccos seem to taste this way for the first couple of draws, then it goes away. Others it seems to stick around. Why is this happening? More importantly, is there a remedy (aside from the obvious, 'don't just smoke half the bowl' answer)? I would say that my pipes need a thorough cleaning, but they all had their baths only a couple months ago, so I'm gonna guess that it's not that. Thoughts?

Regards,

Cristos

YAPPG likes this.

2. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Not sure if it's what you are tasting, but sounds like that the "Ashie" note some get from time to time.

3. moosecop

moosecop Member

what are you smoking... Virginia blends tend to DTG ( delayed tobacco gratification) very well, and many aros.. but Im not sure on heavier blends as I dont smoke them.

4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Seems to me that any form of tobacco that you smoke and let sit for an hour in going to go a bit skanky on the relight.

5. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

For me it depends on the blend you smoke, I've found that English or Lat heavy blends do not want to be set down, and although it tastes a bit different Va can handle it. Perique is also a miss for me, but I'm not fond of Perique anyway, and it seems to get really 'strong' when you relight and I don't like that at all.

6. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Hi Cristos.
    The thing to remember is that there is no need to pick up where you left off...with half a bowl of ash resting on top. When returning to a half smoked bowl, I will usually scoop out a layer of ash and start over: scoop out some ash, tamp a bit, and then relight the un-smoked tobacco left in the bowl.

It's one thing to smoke a pipe all the way down in one "sitting", It's quite another to return to a half-smoked pipe covered in ash.
    If my half smoked bowl has been sitting out for quite some time, I'll not only toss the ash, but will add a bit of fresh tobacco on top before lighting it up.
    Hope that helps a bit :puffy:

7. muddler

muddler Member

I agree with Ephraim. Lighting the ashy top of a DGT'd bowl is sure to produce an ashy taste. Best to dump the ash, tamp carefully & relight.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Smoking burley? It can often go to the ashy side, especially when too moist in my experience. I am mainly a virginia smoker and I don't experience that with virginia blends - in fact, after a bowl sits for a while it's often better.

moosecop likes this.
  9. Cristos

Cristos Member

It mostly happens with my heavier English tobaccos, but I get it with aro's from time to time. Sometimes I dump the ash and then relight, and that does help. I'm gonna try adding a bit of fresh to the top next time and see how that works. Thanks for the advice guys! I like how everyone here is quick to respond to your posts.

10. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

DGT (Don't Get Time) or allowing a bowl to burn out and be left for later will always allow to the tobacco to become stale. I don't smoke Churchwardens for a similar reason, because by the time the smoke gets to my mouth it tastes stale to me. It sits stagnate in the stem too long for me. Allowing charred damp tobacco to sit exposed to the open air will definitely affect it's flavor profile. I no longer DGT a bowl for this reason. I pack a bowl based on my projected smoking time. For example, I pack a small half bowl for the 15-20 minute drive to work and then dump and allow to dry while at work. I then pack a small bowl for the ride home and do the same thing, run a pipe cleaner through the pipe, finger ream it, and then rest it for a day or two. This is how I smoke nearly everyday. I got tired of the bad taste created from DGTing a bowl and changed my method. Dumping the ash does help, but doesn't change the fact that tobacco has been sitting moist, inside a bowl, exposed to open air. It still doesn't taste like I want it to, so I quit doing it.

11. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Use your pc's (pipe cleaners) regularly.
    I'll run one through my pipe a couple times during a smoke, regardless of any or no gurgle. It helps to freshen up the pipe.

12. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

I get that from half&half but only for a few puffs then she smokes good.

13. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

I usually get the same thing, plus the smoke wants to go directly up my nose for some reason. Come to think of it Virginias do taste fine after a few puffs.

14. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

I'm full of it! Everyone DGT's from time to time. I DGTed today. I poke the ash to loosen, dump, and tamp lightly prior to relighting. The smoke is not as good as a fresh full bowl, but it's still not that bad. I don't push it though. Once the smoke thins I let it burn out and dump it. I typically don't tamp or relight a DGTed bowl following the initial relight, tamp, and relight. I get what I can and let it go because it tends to just get bad after that and I don't want to carry a bad taste in mouth when I'm done.

15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Sounds like you're smoking either a burley or an aromatic. Burley needs a "re-warmup" time after being out for awhile. Aros just tend to go ashy from that point on. Some latakia blends do the same, as do some flavored but non-heavy aromatics. One of the latter than comes to mind is GLP's Haddo's Delight. It never recovers.

16. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

You're on it dmkerr. It wasn't Haddo, it was Cognac. An English. English does not recover well from DGT, but not as bad as an aromatic tries to. You nailed it! Can you see dead people, because you have a sixth sense for tobacco? Nice! I guess 11,120 messages isn't just for show? I just ask that you don't invade my dreams. :puffy:

esteban and dmkerr like this.
  17. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I have little knowledge, my tongue has just been abused a lot. :ohyh:

esteban and Greasy Neale like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.