1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Wooday's FNG smoke-along

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by wooda2008, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Alright, so as many of you know AhmedOctopus hooked me up with a crap ton of different tobaccos to try.
    I will be documenting my successes, failures, and experiences with every one on this thread.

Starting off with Carter Hall. Pony express unfinished cob
    Packaging: fairly dry not brittle does not seem moist at all. Bounces back after pinch.
    Packing: fairly easy. didn't seem to have too much spring to it.
    Lighting: lit easy no charring light.
    First third cool dry smoke sort of like a Hemingway short story cigar
    second third: same
    Last third: a little harsh right at the end. May have been the pipe
    Ash: all the way. 75% reduction.

Nightcap. MM Ozark.
    Packaging: smells delicious. My mouth watered.
    Packing: very springy did not want to stand the bowl. packet with the three-step method
    Lighting: took two charring lights. tobacco expanded a lot. I was pretty surprised.
    First third: thick, juicy smoke. Best comparison is high quality primo shisha.
    Second third: dried out and smoothed over.less sugar more meat.
    Last third: more spice notes. Definitely a nic hit. Still light and smooth.
    Ash: mostly black, some grey, very little dottle.

2. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Reserved

3. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Woops, didn't realize I can't edit posts.

Next is Mac Baren's Honey and Chocolate
    Packaging: A little dry; can't really tell it's cased by its texture. distinct "Cocoa" smell, no trace of honey
    Packing: Easy. left fairly loose. Codger method of take a wad and shove it in there.
    Lighting: matches. Charred easy, lit easy. nice coal across the top.
    First Third: Where's the chocolate? smooth, easy smoke. Might just be the day I've been having, but this sihts got some nicotine.
    Second Third: I found the chocolate. Hint of it at least. Lots of pepper on the snork. Still pleasant. Other tastes are... not there.
    Last Third: heavy on the pepper, said goodbye to the Cacao. Going to let it burn out on its own lest the Nic keeps me up all night.
    Ash: Even, grey and granular
    No relights, rare tamps.

Not bad, I'll give it another couple shots and try rehydrating it a smidge. This is probably going to be traded to the next Nooblet.

4. dBear

dBear Active Member

The amount of pepper you're reporting on the MacB Honey & Choc makes me think you're over-driving it. Try packing it a bit tighter and slowing w-a-a-a-a-ay down on your draw.

wooda2008, psquared and Jussto like this.
  5. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

dBear, I took your comments under advisement and packed it tighter and slowed way, way down.
    I found the cocoa. Lasted through the whole bowl and made me salivate the whole time. My friend mentioned the room note was fantastic.
    Relit it once or twice and tamped lightly but regularly.

Next I will be sampling Lane's MV-1000. I'm giddy

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Is MacB H&C an aromatic, or an Aromatic?...

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

It tastes like burning chocolate milk, so I don't think it's aromatic. :bag:

Spuddaddy, Trauma, Capt and 1 other person like this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Cool post ! When do you get to mixture 79 ?

9. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well done! :th1: Looking forward to your future smokes.

Spuddaddy likes this.
  10. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

ArmedOctopus was a peach and left it out of the mix. I'll have to spend my own money on it, or beg it as a freebie sample on an order.
    Or not. I'm definitely leaning towards not.:puke:

11. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Lane MV-1000 Me likey. In the MM Diplomat, which is now tied for my favorite pipe with the longchamp and the blocky nosewarmer.
    Packing- standard ribbon cut, smells vaguely sweet in an understated way. packed easy. Packed it a little at a time until the draw felt just right.
    Lighting- One charring light, tamped and lit for real. Moderate expansion, but nice, even cherry. Tamped it down to the top edge of the bowl.
    First third- barely sweet and 'nilla wafer, lightly toasted nut. Nice and mellow, no sting on the snork. Zero Nic buzz.
    Second third- Light. Had a real tough time singling out any flavors. Snorking had a slight bite, but I blame that on smoking it hard for a minute.
    Last third- Flavor tapered off gently. No new flavors but still pleasant. I set it aside when the "burning wood" flavor overwhelmed the tobacco.
    Ash- mostly black, dark grey on the top. knocked out easily. No dottle.

Three relights, owing more to getting caught up in The Dark Side of Camelot and forgetting to tamp.

Thoughts:
    This seemed like a really simple smoke, and it was very enjoyable. I'm noticing some general similarities with CH, but it's...different...

12. User3940

User3940 Active Member

That's not being a Peach. AO never shares his M79. He is bogarting the world supply of M79 in hopes that he can hold us hostage. Wait until he finds out that collecting the worlds supply of M79, and getting it off the streets, will actually earn him a Pulitzer.

13. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

Or create a singularity that destroys the county.

14. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Instead of a black hole it would be a brown hole. Oh my God, the visuals for that made me throw up in my mouth. Oh, oh, wait...........:puke:

Spuddaddy, Raffxr7, MacNutz and 6 others like this.
  15. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

:rofl: :laff:

Spuddaddy likes this.
  16. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Hmmm....Ahmed makes me sound Arabic. Interesting.....

Anyways, I don't have any M79. I figured I'd get on here to defend myself. And truth be told, Coastie is still hoarding blue marbles, keeping the biggest and best for himself. You can see how he taunts us with pictures.

17. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Autocorrect. Or I was typing in an Ahnold austrian accent. Can't remember

Spuddaddy and WalkinStick like this.
  18. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Louisiana Red in my maple bushpipe.

Package- ziploc baggie. long cut. fairly dry.
    packing- packed pretty well, didn't seem to want to stay in the bowl, kept trying to spring out. Packed a smidge lightly so I could tamp it to perfection
    lighting- Lots of work, charred 4 times before it settled down and lit decent
    First third- SPICY!! not cracked black pepper.... like if someone candied a jalepeno. Sweet heat is best I can describe it, deeper. Snork cleared my sinuses.
    Second third- Smoothing out, less sweet and seems too complicated for me to pick apart. It's easier to describe by what's not there. No leather, no citrus, no herb. Puffing extra slow to keep it cool here.
    Final third- Nothing new. Draw's opening up as i get right to the end and there's a little more Jal heat, but nothing sweet about it.
    Burned my tongue on ash. Guess it's finished but damn that was quick
    Ash- practically fell from the bowl with one tap. No dottle, no soupiness. Very dry
    No relights, responded very well to the occasional tamp.

Final thoughts: I need to smoke this in my vintage cob. This bushpipe is good for a quick smoke, but at 5/8x7/8, there's not enough room for this to breathe. I need it to last longer than 30 minutes, give it time to do more than intrigue me. I'm very frustrated with myself for not being able to put a name to the flavors.

Also, I forgot to mention that I have no clue what these are supposed to be. In the interest of staying impartial, I'm not reading any descriptions past whether a given tobacco is an Aromatic or not, or any reviews before the first bowl. LA red, I won't be reading anything for another 5 bowls at least. I just hope I can taste everything it has to offer before this sample is gone.

mitchell, Spuddaddy and ChristTiger like this.
  19. dBear

dBear Active Member

You're doing really well, my friend! :bing:

Spuddaddy, ChristTiger and Lucky Duck like this.
  20. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

+1

Spuddaddy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.