1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

Wooden stem brainstorming

Discussion in 'Stems & Stummels' started by wooda2008, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

All right guys, help me figure this one out.

I'm making "bush pipes". Bowls are cut from well seasoned branches and the stems are bored out twigs.
    My thoughts are, wood is porous and wood+moisture= nastiness every time. I would like to do something to make the inside of the stem nonporous, so a pipe cleaner can wipe out any residual moisture and tars after a smoke.

What would you use and how would you make it happen?

2. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I'd say a piece of copper tubing, used as a liner.
    Might be easier said than done though.
    Gonna have to drill the stem a bit oversized so the tubing will insert easily, and then maybe slather the tubing with gorilla glue, and slide it in. Wipe off the excess and sand the ends.

3. taharris

taharris Sales Account

I woule not recommend copper tubing. I am afraid it would turn green (tarnish) and effect the taste.

Find a nontoxic wood like fruit wood or Maple and let it dry out well.

Yes, the bowl and stem will be porous, but so is Briar. You will just have to let the pipe rest between smokes.

If you insist on a liner you can purchase stainless steel tubing from McMaster-Carr.

And don't forget to post pictures!

Todd

Spillproof, Smokey Tom and wooda2008 like this.
  4. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I have an all briar pipe that smokes just fine...no more problem with moisture than any other briar.
    Other woods...it's a crap-shoot. I would go with SS tubing.

wooda2008 and Thuber88 like this.
  5. bosun

bosun Active Member

Some vinyl tubing? Various small diameter but fairly thick walled tubing available at pet stores to be used as airline tubing..

wooda2008 likes this.
  6. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Some pretty good suggestions so far, guys. Thanks!
    I don't think they make tubing that small. The bore on the stem is 1/16-3/32 wide. It would be a lot of work to force tubing into a little twig, and I'm not sure how well it would end up.
    What do you think of coating the inner wall with CA glue to seal it up?

Or I'm thinking just burnish the inner wall to minimize nooks and crannies and just tell him to let it rest and run a pipe cleaner with everclear through it once in a while to keep funk from growing.

7. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

If you drilled out the stem your using large enough to fit a SS tube (like the kind you can get for brake lines at the auto store) thru it, then epoxy the tube to the wood. Then just use a file or belt sander to make the tube flush with the stem, be sure to deburr. Now I'm making this up as I go, never tried it my self. But if I had this problem, that's how I'd tackle it. Not sure what size a brake line is so would have to measure for the right size drill bit. Good luck!

wooda2008 likes this.
  8. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

You're going to want the airway to be large enough for a pipe cleaner to fit. I don't think I would worry too much about lining the airway. Just keep it clean like an ordinary pipe and you should be good to go. If you do want to line it you can coat the inside with shellac or even varnish or polyurethane. All are non-toxic when cured and will seal the wood.

wooda2008 likes this.
  9. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

go with aluminum tube as a liner.

wooda2008 likes this.
  10. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Next batch of sticks are almost done curing. I'll do side by side comps of bare, shellac and poly with a couple methods of application I brainstormed. Promise many pics

11. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Update:
    Small horizontal branches do not work. The pith is too close to the edge.
    Lavender (Syringus vulgaris) is easy to shape, but it is far too soft to clench, and it doesn't steam bend worth peas.

Lining the stem is not worth the effort. Still gets funky as unsealed wood in the same time frame

12. esteban

esteban Active Member

You might consider bamboo, available at Home Depot garden center, cheap, and after sanding, stainable......

wooda2008 likes this.
  13. ASmokingMan

ASmokingMan Member

I'd go with aluminium as a liner, like the stem in a Falcon. It's possible to get aluminium tubing with a bore or 3 millimetres or less. For example 4mm outside diameter, 3mm bore. Scale model maker's suppliers seem to stock the stuff.

Here's one for example, though it's in the UK http://www.greenweld.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Aluminium_185.html

wooda2008 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.