Your Personal Blend Recipes

Discussion in 'Blending' started by jamie7, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie7

jamie7 Member

Hey Fellas,

I wanted to start a thread of your personal blend recipes that you're proud of and would like to share. This is not a highjack of the other thread - not a way to use up tobaccos you don't like, rather blends you've made fully by choice and with tobaccos you like.

Here's one from me:

50% Anniversary Kake
    40% Red Raparee(or english of your choice)
    10% McClelland 5100 Red Virginia

Play with the amounts to suite your tastes but you get the idea.

Looking forward to seeing/trying everyones' creations.

MarkinCA and Lithua pipe like this.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

75/25 - PA/RRR

3. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

50% Solani Aged Burley Flake
    50% Anniversary Kake

https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/misc/dude.gif

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

McClelland Red Cake with a pinch of their blending perique.

Lithua pipe likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

5 to 1 ... SWR / IRC Buttered Rum ...... Love it :wub:

6. jamie7

jamie7 Member

This is getting good, Gents. Keep 'em coming!

Here's another one of mine:

20% MacBaren Vanilla Cream
    80% Light Virginia or Burley of your choice

Bam! Tons of Vanilla flavour - you'd be surprised how it comes out.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

My own personal favorite is a pouch of Carter Hall and a Pouch of Prince Albert tossed together. Good fresh and even better after a week or so. ;)

8. ruffinogold

Here's a blend I made years back using bulk lane products .... from memory ... 5 parts bca , 1.5 part blwb , 2 part rlp6 , 1 part 1q , 1 part HGL [or something that began w/ H ] and 1 tin of erinmore[ depending on amount of blend ] ........... the blwb is what made it burn nice and the erinmore just rocked when diluted w/ the reast of the blend .I guess a full tin to a pound of blend +- . This was my biggest selling aromatic .... sounds like alot going on but was real nice to smoke and a killer aroma .......... Most smoke shops have lane bulks and these were all popular ones . I guess you could use a scale at shop and have .25 oz as a part . Just kick back the erinmore and let sit a week

9. ruffinogold

Another was using P.S. Aromatic dutch slices and adding straight red vir. and a LITTLE perq. I dont remember amounts ... just something we played with . When ya mess about blending make sure you write it down in a log .... cause ya might hit the jackpot . I never blended an english mix cause there's so many good ones already that I didnt think I could make anything better . i wish I had my old log but it was sold w/ store . I made half the blends in th shop and tweeked them for people and the other half I renamed bulk blends ..sounds lame but alot of shops do it and its cool . Hell 1q prob has 500 names .. lol

10. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Here's a good one...

2 parts McClelland #5100
    2 parts McClelland #5100 stoved (220 method = 2 hours 20 minutes at 220°F)
    1 part McClelland Perique

Mix well and store for at least a month before smoking (better yet, let it age)

umfunix and James1956 like this.
  11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I'm tempted to try that out, Marc. I really like CH and PA a little less so. I've got all the ingredients for this blend and about 1/2 pouch extra of CH. Do you think I should up the CH ratio by 50%?

Bri2k

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

If you like the flavor of Carter Hall more than Prince Albert I don't see why not? Blend to your taste there is no hard and fast set rules, experiment and create your own unique blend. I do know the Middleton blends blend well together. Let me know what you think? Have some fun! Nothing ventured is nothing gained.

13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I read this and thought I'd give it a try. One of the things with MacB Vanilla Creme is lots of folks don't seem to get much of the vanilla flavor. I was like that the first couple times I tried it but then I kinda 'found' it. It is my favorite aromatic.

I was playing around with some MacB Burley London Blend and BCA mixing them and trying that. I got to thinking about what you posted here. Just for S&G I mixed 1/3 BLB, 1/3 BCA and 1/3 VC. Holy smokes, the vanilla flavor was STRONG. What a difference. I am going to play around with that one some more. Maybe just mix the VC with a virginia and a burley like you suggested.

Very interesting how that worked out. Thanks for the tip!

14. jamie7

jamie7 Member

Yeah. It's almost like they over-flavour it and you have to cut it to taste it. Maybe there are some guys out there with no taste buds left from smoking Mixture 79 or something.

15. Marc

Marc Active Member

Another favorite blend I throw together from time to time is a 50/50 mix of McClelland’s #2010 Classic Virginia and #2015 Virginia Flake + Perique. The 2010 consists of lemon, orange and orange red virginias, a sweet, tangy and zesty smoke. The 2015 consists of orange and red virginias and St. James Parish perique, a deeper, darker and richer smoke. Both of these broken flake virginias use the same base virginias, I do not care for the 2015 by itself, I find the perique to heavy handed for my taste, so I blend these two together 50/50 which tones down the spiciness of the perique to a level I can enjoy. :deadhorse:

James1956 and MarkinCA like this.
  16. Legend

Legend Member

I can vouch for the PA/CH mix, I love it! A member on another forum turned me onto that. I can't say why it is so good, but it is. He also does Hearth and Home Butternut Burley/Prince Albert 50-50. He raves about that one as well, though I have yet to try it. I just got some McC 5100 in my Mars order, and by itself I love it! I have put it in a mix, equal parts Lane BCA/PS Balkan Supreme/PA/5100. I got it melding in a jar now. I'll let you guys know in a couple of weeks when they're married how it goes.

17. Marc

Marc Active Member

McC 5100 is a very versatile red virginia for blending.

18. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

Here's an approximate (like my cooking I don't really measure) recipe for a couple of cigar blends I made up. It started out as one blend, but the ratio of cigar leaf was way to high, so I divided it in half and took each in different direction. One I consider a sweeter more aromatic blend, and the other a strong smoky blend.

Base (first mix before dividing):
    one CAO Camaroon robusto and your choice of maduro robusto finely sliced into ribbons. Mix about half and half with PA. Add about 1/4 oz of McC Smyrna #1 for some good oriental spice, and 1/4 oz of your favorite VA for sweetness (I used McC #24). Divide in half.

Sweet:
    Add 1/2 oz of a light aromatic with nutty/caramel/chocolate type qualities (butternut burley for me, WOL blends would be good as well). Also 1/4 oz VaPer such as anny kake or Escudo. Add a dash of black cav for sweetness.

Smoky:
    Add 1/4 oz latakia blend (ex: balkan supreme). Another 1/4 oz each of VA and PA.

A full recipe makes a lot!

This blend just begged to be given a name so I thought about the origin of the various tobaccos. OK, we have Cuban leaf cigars for a good base flavor. A little something from the Near East thrown into the mix, and some good old American tobaccos keeping everything in line. Simple, Gitmo Sunrise (sweet) and Gitmo Sunset (smoky) :D

umfunix and MarkinCA like this.
  19. Legend

Legend Member

Over the past two days I've been mixing McClelland 5100 with Lane BCA. This is great-it has decent strength, taste, and aroma. I need to order in some RLP-6 and mix it with the 5100.

20. SBritton

SBritton Member

50% CH
    50% NorthWoods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.