Zippo

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by woody, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng Member

I personally own about 8~9pcs of Zippo lighter... But none of them Zippo Pipe Style...
    I am a cig smoker... just recently converting to pipe smoker... :D

For me, Zippo lighter is the best among all lighter... plus the life time warranty...
    I never kill any of my Zippo lighter... but I do lost 2 of them which not cover by the life time warranty... kekekeke.... :P

2. Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng Member

Always use original Zippo fluid... it is less smelly...

WharfRat and ChristTiger like this.
  3. NYblacksmith

NYblacksmith Member

Right now I'm not using a Zippo because the one I had since being in the service was stolen last year :( but for 25 years I used Coleman camp stove fluid with absolutely no problems. Zippo fluid is naptha. Coleman fluid is naptha. same/same. If you want some real sticker shock go figure up what Zippo costs compared to Coleman.

I never did like the taste of using a Zippo to light a pipe and used it mostly for cigarettes however I hear that there is a new Zippo fluid on the market now with a much more tolerable smell/flavor. I haven't tried it yet but if I like it I'll get a new Zippo.

rigormootis likes this.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I always have a big can of Coleman fuel in the garage for campouts. I'll have to give it a shot.
    Thanks!

NYblacksmith likes this.
  5. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Curse on the thief! I have used another fluid Ronsonol for experiment but didn't worked. In the past i have tried with 95 alcohol or Lamp oil for experiment also but didn't work either.

NYblacksmith and rigormootis like this.
  6. Teddy

Teddy Member

:bing: I use a Zippo pipe lighter or stick matches

rigormootis likes this.
  7. Jburr01369

Jburr01369 Member

I use kitchen matches for the charring light and the second light. After the bowl is going, I use my purchased-in-1968 Zippo with pipe insert fir relights.

NYblacksmith and rigormootis like this.
  8. rigormootis

rigormootis Member

This is about my exact regimen (though, my lighter is from 1990 or so). ;)
    One thing I like about the zippo pipe lighter is that you can direct the flame directly down into the chamber (begin drawing in air before you lower the lighter) so you don't scorch the rim.

NYblacksmith likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I recently had three Zippo pipe lighters . One I've had since the 90's and the other two were gifts from Christmass or birthday etc .. I gave the other two away cause I rarely used them . I figured when my black one [ the 1990's one ] goes missing ... I'll use one of the newer ones . I have the Zippo belt clip holder and I just dont lose the lighter . I do have a collection of lighters [a few regular Zippos , Old Evans and others .. ] so i guess if I ever do lose the thing , I'll just pop a regular Zippo in the holder untill I get a new pipe one . They never break and if they do ya just send it to them and they send you a replacemnet or fix it . I feel naked without the Zippo on my belt . I really think the holders cant be beat

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=zippo+lighter+belt+case

SidStavros, aquaholic and Texhealer like this.
  10. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I use a belt clip holder as well and love it, never lose it and never burn my leg if I over fill. Wouldn't be without one.

11. aquaholic

aquaholic Member

+1 on the zippo case, I've worn one on my belt for years now...never do lose it.

I just sent all the regular zippos I had (8 of em I think) back to zippo. I had them put pipe inserts in them all, they do it free of charge and ship the original insert back as well. They don't build companies like that anymore.

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. Teddy

Teddy Member

That's for sure [​IMG]

13. rigormootis

rigormootis Member

Un-frickin-acceptable!
    PM sent.

Spuddaddy and ruffinogold like this.
  14. amazedkat

amazedkat Member

The top fell off my American Zippo, I moaned to someone (can't remember who now) who told me they had a lifetime no quibble guarantee policy, so I sent it to an address in London their website gave out, amazed I got within a week a brand new Zippo Lighter and the old one too with a letter saying the hinges were so worn it was not worth repairing :0.... pity is I hate lighting my pipe with it I prefer swan matches, but hey you can't beat service like that..

SidStavros likes this.
  15. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

I am thinking to order an engraved Zippo in black colour,one with a text and another one with a symbol.

16. Qballrail

Qballrail Member

I just wish they'd make odorless fluid. Need to let the flame go for a second or two before lighting, otherwise the taste gets into my smoke...

NYblacksmith likes this.
  17. Teddy

Teddy Member

:bing: I use a BIC sometimes ,works well.

18. RedZin

RedZin Member

I have a Zippo "Scrimshaw" coming today. As you stated, they provided a pipe insert as well. The inserts will be available online soon. Their customer service is great.:bing:

19. frankielad

frankielad Member

Thanks for that Mort.

20. frankielad

frankielad Member

Been there!!!!